Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

Re: Tell us: when you first came to SANE Forums...

Hi @Teej   it's lovely to be mentioned as one of the people who helped you find your feet on the forums.  It's a pleasure to know you.

hello @CheerBear   it's lovely to be mentioned as one of the people who helped you find your feet on the forums. It's a pleasure to know you.

and for me knowing @eth , @Appleblossom , @Jacques@Mazarita  @PeppiPatty way back in august 2015 @s-jay , @nashy 

my husband had just spent 2 weeks in the mental ward  at the big hospital , and i was staying at the red cross accodation and I was reading a book which had the "sane Forum " in it

so we arrived back home 90 kms away from the hospital and I made my first thread which my husband wanted to ask a question on the LE side

that night was friday feast night but I remember the community managers talking to me , it was soo lovely and then i opened another thread that night on the carers side

I think i spent half the night texting to @Appleblossom , @Jacques , and the community managers

and also @s-jay , @nashy , @Lauz 

in 2015 the community managers put a welcome to all the new members thread

I started at the very beginning I think it was a trial. The timing was great for me as I was having major issues with my workplace. I found the site easy to navigate and immediately felt safe. I don’t comment that often due to anxiety and cognitive impairment. I would like to congratulate everyone on the forum for their contributions I look at the site most days. Job well done

Hi @Shaz51   glad to be your friend for so long x

Hello @Ma60  we haven't met before.  Hope you find the forums helpful even if you don't comment that much.  

hello @Ma60 , I remember you cat photo Smiley Happy

@s-jay  + everyone

I arrived at the sane forum at the start of 2017 in the midst of a crisis.

I came across the forums by chance when looking for information on ECT but then started reading peoples stories.

I initially signed up specifically to respond directly to (and in support of) something I felt strongly about.

The hardest part of signing up was finding a suitable user name.

I think the introduce yourself thread was there but I just launched in with a discussion topic that was causing me distress at the time. The opportunity to `vent` to people who actually understood was most therapeutic and the main motivation for joining. 

Because I spent a lot of time reading different threads before getting the courage to join in I already had a good idea about how it worked before I started. As far as my first real discussion @Former-Member was a huge help in starting a new thread in line with my concerns and in giving feedback to my concerns and fears at the time.

Having already linked with someone made it easier to join in. The thing I love most about the forums is the willingness to help and support each other despite all of us having troubles of our own.

I believe ti is the willingness of forum members to engage with new comers is what makes it work. For me talking about my wife in what to me felt like a negative way was the biggest barrier, (being anon helps with that) but quickly discovered no one was going to judge me or my wife who I love as while individual circumstances vary our emotions are relatable.     

As far as the first thread created, this was for a direct question relating to treatment so I emailed sane first for clarification on guidelines, the response was prompt and most encouraging, as a result I also did a similar post on the LE side. The support and encouragement I received was invaluable. There was also encouragement before this from @Shaz51  and @Former-Member  to create a my story. encouragement of others is what was needed at that time. 

I believe each and every individual member is the biggest strength of the forums. The support here gave me the strength to keep my head up through some dark times for my family. One thing I do miss is that I think the mods were a lot more visible with joining in on discussions when I first started to now, particularly the social threads, mods are just as special as the individual members as they are what make this space possible.  

I think support services are becoming more aware and recommending the forums more which is great.

I almost choked on my coffee at a recent consult with a uni councillor when she told me all about sane and pulled up one of my threads and posts as an example of someone I could connect with Man Very Happy 

As far as what may make it easier for newcomers based on what I have observed from new comers, I think a clear link on the home page to a page that is more visual than words that 

1. Clearly spells out the most important guidelines, (anon, cant talk about med name or doses etc).

2. Link to introduce yourself page. (suggested 5 questions to answer as an icebreaker?) 

3. Procedure to create a post, tag someone etc. (lots of people it seems don`t understand tagging to start with). 

Keep up the good work.

@s-jay, @Determined 

I totally agree with what you said @Determined 

One thing I do miss is that I think the mods were a lot more visible with joining in on discussions when I first started to now, particularly the social threads, mods are just as special as the individual members as they are what make this space possible.

I miss the mods presence too or other community builders like @Ali11 .

@Determined  this made me smile

"I almost choked on my coffee at a recent consult with a uni councillor when she told me all about sane and pulled up one of my threads and posts as an example of someone I could connect with"

LoL @Former-Member 

It was a case of 'that guy can't help, he's the reason I'm here in the first place' 😂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance