Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forum News and Updates

Re: The word "Carer" - We want your feedback!

Hi @nashy  + everyone

1.    How comfortable are you with the term carer?

It is all about context. (imo)

In the context of the forum totally comfortable... Having said that I would never tell anyone outside of official channels that I was a carer. Rather I support my wife. Even here I prefer to say that I support my wife.

In the context of this forum if I saw something for support people I would reinterpret this as people in paid roles.

2.    Do you think calling the forum here 'Carer Forum' comes with challenges?

I think everyone's individual stories will make this different but for me when I first found the forum in a time of crisis it spelled out clearly what the forum was about. This was a good thing. 

The reality is that while what I do is support that support is essential for day to day functioning. 

3.    What other term do you identify or connect with? Why?

In all but official channels I like to use the term 'I suppprt my wife who lives with mh challenges'

4.    What do you think about the term ‘Family & Friends’ or “Family, Friends & Carer’ (including the name Family & Friends Forum)?

I personally think this is a bit long winded and vague.  In the context of the forum (how I saw initially found it) is people who care...  formally or informally. 

While family and friends etc  play a big role and I don't want to minimise the level of care these people provide (lots of people fit this description here)  I do believe 'carer' identifies some one who 'goes the extra mile'  this often but not always includes above mentioned people. I believe that this would actually minimise the valuable support that 'carers' provide. 

For me also, accepting the concept of carer rather than simply supporting spouse was an essential step in actually seeking support for myself.  That is a journey that  really started here despite being officially recognised as a carer much earlier.  

So (based on my experience) carer forum is of much greater value. Understanding however that others may have a very different experience and respectful of those feelings in no way want to minimise that. 

Re: The word "Carer" - We want your feedback!

@eth @Former-Member @Appleblossom @Corny @TheVorticon @Teej @Eden1919 @Former-Member @Determined 
Hey all 🙂 I just wanted to say a massive thank you so far for taking the time out to provide this insight from your own perspective, it's really valuable and super important to encompassing the notion of a carer (or support person) to those suffering from complex mental health. Truly very grateful. Here's gift for you all Smiley Very Happy 

giphy.gif

Looking forward to hearing more ideas as they come.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance