Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

3 TIPS WHEN TRAPPED IN SI

found this article online & thought several of you could benefit reading it as I did: @BlueBay, @Appleblossom, @Former-Member,
@misstee, and...

HERE'S 3 TIPS FOR THOSE DAYS YOU FEEL TRAPPED IN SI

TRY TO BE SOCIAL: 
This can be very hard, especially if you don’t want others to know what is going on but it can help to talk. This could be as simple as starting a small conversation with your friends, teachers, family, or anyone else.

USE COPING SKILLS: 
The list of coping skills could go on for pages and they are unique to each individual. Some healthy coping strategies include journaling, coloring, playing a sport, going on a run, yoga, deep breathing, and so many more. Once you find a few or maybe even just one it can help tremendously.

LET YOURSELF FEEL:
When a low day hits that doesn’t mean you have to shut out what you are truly feeling inside. While this may be uncomfortable at times, acknowledging your feelings can help you move through them.
  Remember you are not alone and you are not bothering others: Everyone in life has problems. That doesn’t mean you are adding to another person’s own problems if you share how you are feeling. You are not a burden. I have found that when I do share those thoughts and feelings a weight is lifted off my shoulders and a sense of relief comes over me.
  The journey of life is filled with ups and downs, which is what shapes us into the people we are. When you’re having a bad day or a good day, remember that people do care about you, you are here for a reason, and the world would not be the same without you.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: 3 TIPS WHEN TRAPPED IN SI

Thank you @Former-Member for sharing this information.

It does make sense, except when I am having thoughts of SI i want to be alone or hibernate from everyone around me.

I do have my colouring book with me at the moment.  and my knitting. not sure what i will do, very tired.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@BlueBay, I felt the same about the being social suggestion. Sometimes just a trip yp the shop exchanging the weather over the counter is enough to help me.
Hope you're feeling better today?? How didxyou get through last night?
Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @Former-Member

I found the most important thing for me is a limited amount of strategies, because it does not seem so overwhelming to find one that "fits" the moment.

And I would like to add the importance of safe places. This can also be a shopping mall @BlueBay, the people around you eventually do have an impact, even if their combined energy is stress,but there are always kids running around. I have a number of safe places where I just sit and ride out the confusion until I can look at my safety plan. I find looking at my strategies the hardest part, so I first go to one of my safe places and when I'm strong enough I start looking at my safety plan.

I went there...

To the place where concluding my own life was the natural thing to do... I got most of the way there without a moment's hesitation... it was perfect it was right there was nothing to fight...

And then, just as calmly and matter-of-factly, I turned around and came back...

I'm glad I did...
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance