Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Harry
Senior Contributor

Circles and cycles

This post is thanks to justanother47yr

Something clicked with your last post. You liked a post on the carers forum. As contributor to the lived experience forum I had some how forgotten or pushed aside that I have a feeling of responsibility to make both forums sucessful.....thanks mate

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Circles and cycles

We acknowledge your contirbution Harry Smiley Happy

Hi Harry, love to hear how you are going sometime!

Hey Hobbit

Very nice pic. You best be careful as I have a thing for Hobbits LOL.

I am doing very well indeed thanks. I have been pretty busy with school this last week so haven't been around to post a lot.

Just home from school actually, chillin out with a cuppa. Looking forward to seeing the Gyuto Monks of Tibet tomorrow night.

More posts to follow.

Give my regards to my friends in The Shire

Harry

Hi Harry,

Excellent to hear! Hope school is going well for you. I too have recently started studying again.

I looked up Gyuto Monks of Tibet on Google - sounds interestng!!

no problems. I have had difficulties logging on for about a week and just worked out how to do it again. Before, I was not online because of other responsibilities.
iI am proud to be a Consumer. We are the people who stick our hands up and say; I am a Consumer . consumer means that We have accessed mental health places in the past. We also act in a non judgemental way to others we meet on the street and are aware of keeping ourselves safe. because we have been there.

that's what I think anyway.
you?

Hi Justanother47yr,

I really like your take on that. A lot of people do not like the word consumer, but this puts it in a whole different light. It gives it a sense of empowerment. Good on you!!

thanks very much

Hobbit.

Hi hobbit,

I think that feeling good comes from within and if you don't.....a person may want to start with this very little step.

'What is important to me?'

When my youngest son was so ill and going in and out of hospital and my oldest son was going through troubles I wasn't able to function without a huge amount of pain on my shoulders.
....I chose to think.... I'm .........off that things are so difficult.
I need to cope tomorrow.

What is the most important thing for me?
It was....to be kind.

Then about 6 months later it stretched to ....to be safe. To be kind.

Then....to be clean.

I talked about this to my therapist.
and this is how I existed for a long time. I didn't want to be anything but that.
Somehow....I got through.

It's different for everyone.
Is this something you would do? Work out what is important to you?

Hi Justanother47y/o,

I think working out what's important to you is the same as taking care of yourself. From what I am reading in your post, it's kind of like 'focussing on the task at hand'?? As in 'what's important to me NOW'

I see you re-evaluate what's important to you now as time goes on. I think that's a really good strategy. We all go through change, our circumstances change, therefore what's important to us would also change as time goes on. This I think is being flexible with the changing currents of life, and is REALLY important.

An analogy - I was once washing my car, I had a plastic bucket of water. I accidentally backed over the bucket. Being plastic, the bucket simply squashed a bit out of shape, but it was still a bucket (and I still actually use it). This was because the bucket was flexible. If it was a hard metal bucket, even thought it's technically sturdier and stronger than a plastic bucket, it's not flexible. The metal bucket would have been squashed and destroyed and become useless. So the point I'm making is the so called "stronger" metal bucket would have been ruined, where the apparently "weaker" plastic bucket is flexible, and survives another day.

So what others may see as a weakness, there's strength in being flexible. That's what will get us through to the next day. That's probably what's important to me. Being flexible enough to carry on in life.

That's (unseen) strength.You have that!!

Hobbit.

Moved:

Right now, I made another of my frequent mistakes.

This comment has been moved by a moderator to another part of the forum where it might be more easily found by the community.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance