Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Decluttering and home maintenance

@Shaz51 getting the balance between what we don't need at present vs what we are likely to use can be a challenge. For a while there Mr Darcy was happy to get rid of things that were not his but once he saw how much easier it was to find misplaced things and that he was not missing anything it became easier. There are some items that he rightly pointed out that we have not used for a little due to a number of reasons, not only his crisis (although that was a major contributor) and I have had to restrain his enthusiasm just a little suggesting that with our move we might have more time and opportunity to use the items.

I usually run things by Mr Darcy before I donate them, usually he is only too happy to but I have kept some things that he feels are worthwhile holding onto.

With my Mum, I just wait until she is ready to let something go and then deal with it. She does have things that would be better sorted and stored in the one spot (ie embroidery thread in a number of places and she cannot remember most of what she has). Have let her know that I am well able to help her with it, but have decided that I am not going to say any more about things and she can ask me if she would like assistance.

Mr Darcy was happy to get rid of things that were not his-- mr shaz is the same @Former-Member 

thank you for your message

I have had to restrain mr shaz`s  enthusiasm just a little too sometimes

yes last week he want to sell the trailer, the gernie and a few other things , I had to put his brakes on

so that is why he may be the oppersite this week -- i agree finding the balance is hard

with mum I just wait until she is ready to let something go and then deal with it.-- tht is a good idea Smiley Very Happy

My mum was like that @Shaz51, let them have their peace i reckon.

@Former-Member @Shaz51 and everyone else here. hope your morning is going well. today I'm going to do a general tidy up of the house, dishes, washing, floors ect. I've cleaned and prepared the walls I want to paint tomorrow, still have to clean the window sills and doors. will try squeeze that in later on today. have a wonderful day all. will check back in later 

Yeah @Shaz51, I get where your Mum is coming from. Being in the middle of all that ourselves. My sister and I are in the odd space of putting aside part of our "inheritance" while Mum and Dad are still alive. It is a very death-related process. Maybe we, the next generation along, will be more open to seeing our heirlooms go to good homes in our lifetimes instead of afterwards.
The upside is that Mum and Dad can see that we're settling "who gets what" in a friendly manner. Mum remembers family arguments over her parents' household goods.
Part of it too is the comfort of familiar things. Includes keeping craft materials that aren't ever going to be used again, because giving them up means acknowleging that you're not going to use that skill again. So it's more than the physical objects.
Is your Mum's home orderly @Shaz51? I know that Dad's belongings being ordery makes decision making much less stressful than it is with Mum's disorderly collection. (Or our own disorder... 😞 ) It's easier when you can actually see what is there to decide between. And would be easier for her too.

Ooh, and by the way... unfamiliar pudding recipe appears to have produced a very nice Christmas pudding. 🙂 Book still unfound, but must be nearby.

915a0ca1c0fe7de2465ebbfe9e0fe8f6.gif

How's the home maintenance going everyone? @Former-Member  @Adge  @Smc  @octavia  @Shaz51  ?

And @Faith-and-Hope , how's your new space coming on, away from . . .  what do I call  him 🤔. hugz to you old friend.

@Zoe7  don't have to reply, just thinking of your home and garage and old house projects and how you make sure you have one tidy space to retreat to,  we need that. Hugz to you too, and Toby & cat, hugz 💌

Is your Mum's home orderly, yes it is @Smc , after mum broke her hip and was in hospital with her bowel obstruction she had things all written down what to do when she got home

so mum`s transition team was happy with the house now and mum is happy to be home

have to put the brakes on mr shaz`s future plans , as I am not ready to go ahead and while my mum is still here xxx

love that picture @Former-Member Smiley Very Happy

@Former-Member, @octavia , @Adge , @Determined 

brought some curtains for the spare bedroom , the room looks dark now

Not so tidy at my place at present @Former-Member but I have reports to do so most of it will have to wait until next weekend. Hopefully by the next holidays I will have paid off my vet bill and will be able to do more around the home. My trailer is currently living at my sister's place so they can get rid of things before they move so I can't use it to throw things on that I need to get rid of - frustrating but it is what it is.

You'll get there @Zoe7
No rush 😉

Definitely no rush @Former-Member - benefits of living alone hey - can do it all in my own time and at my own pace. Smiley Wink

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance