Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Emotional eating

Hello @ASDMumBris , @Former-Member , @BPDSurvivor@SJT63@Karli 

For me ----   Emotional eating as a carer for my elderly mum ---- *Raises my hand "

Emotional eating as a unpaid carer for my husband  ---- *Raises my hand "

my husband has Bipolar 11 and is an emotional eater too 

Former-Member
Not applicable

Taking responsibility for my own health has been hard. Previously Mr D and I were on the same program with healthy eating. After a recent medical diagnosis he needs high protein, high energy  foods to maintain adequate nutrition which means he needs extra/ more than I do.

It's actually not junk food. I don't really have a sweet tooth so it's always the quantity of the food that's the issue. Even reasonably healthy food can become unhealthy in such quantities unfortunately. But yes, definitely trying the mindfulness 🙂

Hi @ASDMumBris ,

Come to think of it, you're right! I remember someone telling me once that it is not necessarily that we are eating junk food, but our food portions are getting larger and larger over the decades.

To help with this, I now use a smaller plate and fill it up so that my mind automatically tells me the plate is full. Also, I have made it a habit to leave the last mouthful on the plate to prove that I am in control and rather than my 'confused appetite'.

Hope this helps,

BPDSurvivor 

I really need to implement those strategies! Thank you ☺

How are you going @ASDMumBris ?

BPDSurvivor

The ‘not buying it ‘strategy is good if this is possible. I find that not having things unsuitable to munch on in the house works well for me. Also trying to keep water intake up, and possibly having a warm drink instead of extra eating. Or keeping hands ‘busy ‘ with knitting or making something to distract myself while the feeling to ‘extra eat’ passes.

This does help. I have been observing myself lately, & checking if I am not ‘physically’ hungry, notice that, acknowledge to myself I am hungry for comfort, not food. And even this internal acknowledgment helps.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @ASDMumBris 

I am failing miserably at the moment in this department ... yikes!

I do tell that little prompt in my head that I get pre snack preparation to rack off .... and eat any ways.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance