Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Jewel
Contributor

Feeling miserable

Hi

My son torments me constantly. I have very ticklish feet and I am constantly in a battle to stop him from tickling them. It has made me feel very miserable of late because it feels like it nevers stops. I don't know if it is part of his illness or a side effect of his meds (the complusion to do so) or a simply a distraction from his boredom from being home a lot.(He has social anxiety as part of his PS) I guess I don't know where his illness ends and his normal personality begins. Maybe he is just be a very annoying person. I have spoken to my psychologist about this and he wants me to push for more help from his treating team but it is a slow process. Any ideas? Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Feeling miserable

Hi Jewel

Thank you for sharing your story.

Obviously this is a very significant issue for you and one that is causing you distress. Yes, it is very difficult at times to know if this behavour is part of your son's illness, or a side effect of his medication, or simply a distraction from his boredom. Maybe it is a combination of 2 or all 3?

When you asked the question that he could just be a very annoying person, my initial thought was perhaps he is using the constant tickling of your feet as maybe an attention seeking device?  Wondering if you have had a direct conversation with him about this behaviour, specifically why he does it? Sometimes, just asking the direct questions can be surprising helpful. 

On a very practical level, are there things that you could perhaps put in place? Even if, in the short term at least, it were very simple things like standing up when he came toward you, or moving up and  away?

All the best

Bert

Hi Bert

Thanks for your reply. I have tried everythihg I can think of. I stop what I am doing to sit and talk to him, I hold his hands and ask him why he is doing it. He says to annoy me. I ask him to sit with me and talk, he says no I want to tickle your feet. I stand up, walk away, he follows and get down on the floor to tickle my feet. It is constant. I am on a public computer at the moment because if I were home, he would be annoying me. But it is not just tickling of feet but that is the worst. He takes off my glasses, he shut the lid of computer, he pull out my hair tie, anything he can think of to annoy me. I sitting here at a shopping centre avoiding going home because of it.  

Hi @Jewel 

Not being comfortable in your own home is a horrible feeling.

May I ask how old your son is? My apologies if you have posted it elsewhere.

Sorry I'm not quite good with aconyms, can you tell me what PS stands for (in the context of '...social anxiety as part of his PS')

Eagle

Hi Eagle

Thanks for your reply.My 27yo son has paranoid schizophrenia. I still have trouble spelling it, hence the PS 🙂 He is receiving involuntary treatment so I won't ask him to leave. I have however mentioned the possibility of supported independent living. He hates the idea and gets angry at the suggestion. Even though this was mention as a a goal by his treating team initially, nothing further has being said or done. I contact his caseworker regularly but the focus seems to be getting him just to socilise.

Jewel

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance