Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Zoe7
Community Guide

Growth Mindset

As so many of us here have difficulties with our thought processes, over thinking, changing the way and how we think I thought I would open up a discussion about 'FIxed' and 'Growth' mindset. In short - a fixed mindset assists us to remain stagnant, not believing we can do better, nor feel a lot of worth for ourselves. A Growth mindset allows us to challenge ourselves, learn, grow, change and develop a greater sense of self-worth. A Growth mindset does not mean we will not fail at some things nor that the outcome will necessarily be one that we envisage - but it does allow us to look back and learn from the outcome. For example - a Kinder kid is learning the alphabet by writing it down. They can only remember a few letters in order the first week but instead of giving up and saying they cannot do it they are given visual cards to order the next week. They find this visualisation easier to remember and by the thrid week they know all the letters - not in the correct order but they continue to work hard to know them all - it may take another few weeks but they have learnt to persist, learn from their mistakes and build confidence even through mistakes.This is a growth mindset.

The following articles are examples and descriptions of the two mindsets...

https://www.nib.com.au/the-checkup/how-to-develop-a-growth-mindset-from-a-fixed-mindset

https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/01/29/carol-dweck-mindset/

So for all of us here - a few questions:

1. Where do you place yourself?

2. What impact does your MH have upon how you see yourself and the mindset you have?

3. What can you do (or what do you need) in order to change your mindset?

Thoughts?????

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Growth Mindset

@Zoe7 I LOVE this so much!
I would say I have a growth mindset most of the time but certainly have had times where I'm like why bother. 

My mental health plays a massive part I guess since it is the mind isn't it?

Every day I wake up grateful to be up and grateful to be pain free and I usually have some sort of plan for the day ahead (although doesn't always go to plan). 

Hey @pinklollipop15 I think a lot of us balance between both mindsets but it is certainly a lot harder to adopt a growth mindset primarily when we are struggling with our MH. Like everything else - it is a process to develop and take on.

I love lists - keeps me focussed and going each day but there are also times when I just need to be - that for me though is not a bad thing ...it is good self-care.

What I have found is that it is only me that can help me the most ...and part of that has been changing that mindset. It is definitely something I am still working on ...and I do not have any big plans for the future - more little things I would like to do and that gives me some focus ahead.

Hi @Zoe7 

I use lists as well. There is something gratifying about ticking off the tasks I complete but also helps me keep focused. I think you are correct about that its you that can help you the most it is great insight that you have realised this. I think mindset is a continual thing to be 'worked on'. Little things sounds good. I think no matter the goal whether percieved as big or small its a good thing to set goals even if its just to go for a walk in 20 minutes time (my goal today :)) hahaha hope you have a good one!

I agree @pinklollipop15 Mindset is a continuum. Some days we need to sit with the moment and other days we can look forward more. It is also about identifying what we can realistically achieve in one day as well as planning for what is upcoming or want we want to achieve longer term. These plans of course can fall through or change and learning to be okay with that and/or working through whatever disappointment or emotions that come up is growth in itself. - and that should be recognised by us and celebrated.

Hi @Zoe7 I love this and I've only just seen this thread now. I think a growth mindset is so important for recovery and life really. We are always learning and growing and having an open mind is something that's really important to me. 

I love self help books or reading about other people's journeys. I recently read 'make the beast beautiful' by Sarah Wilson. Have you read it? 

Thanks for starting this great thread, I look forward to learning more here Heart

Just stumbled across this fantastic thread. Thanks so much for getting the discussion going @Zoe7. Our next Online Peer Group (this Thursday 4th November from 7-8:30pm) is on this very topic if anyone is interested in joining. There's more information in this thread 😊 @pinklollipop15 

Hi

Sounds great thankyou for tagging me I will attend on Thursday 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance