Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Hobbit
Senior Contributor

Hobbies (from Hobbits)

Hi everyone,

I'm called Hobbit. I'm a moderator on this forum, which gives me the wonderful opportunity to read through vastly complex, often sad, often happy posts from everyone. I'd like to thank everyone for their wonderful insights and for sharing their thoughts. I have said to many people I know, "if you want to see the basic 'good' in people, the strengths, the determination and perserverance, the warm-ness, and just plain 'nice-ness' in humans that we often forget exists, have a look at the discussions from these fantastic people". 

I read a great post from someone earlier who said that getting away from it all  and losing themselves to a hobby restores them and keeps them balanced.

So I thought I'd start this little discussion thread about hobbies. (I just wrote 'Hobbies from Hobbits because that's who I am....I'd love to hear hobbies from anyone...even Elves).

My main hobby is playing guitar. Sometimes I find my life is just made up of working/studying/working/studying...so I love sitting down and just paying guitar. I actually write songs, so playing guitar is such a great way of losing myself in creativity.

Let's hear about anyone else's hobbies! What do you like to do? What keeps you balanced? What is somehting you can 'lose yourself in' for a little while?

44 REPLIES 44

Re: Hobbies (from Hobbits)

I read, but I really something more social because I have become very isolated. Yesterday I sent off an email about pottery classes because it is something I have always wanted to do. I would love to hear about other peoples social hobbies to get some ideas.

I sometime watch this show on TV about oil painting, the guy makes it really easy to understand. I've often thought about that.

Hobbit.

Yay. Pottery.

I would like to do that. I tapestry purses for friends and draw pictures.
play backgammon.
I have been very Isolated in my past. I don't want to be
Like that again. get silver chain in once per fortnight to make sure I'm focusing on my craftwork.

what else do you do?

I go to bingo,(no I'm not old )
1 to have my own space
2 you have to concentrate so you really can't think of anything else
3 it's not too expensive
4 it can get the heart pumping
5 you have as good a chance as anyone in the room to actually win
6 usually local
You should give it a go

Hi surgery1,

Bingo is a great idea!! There is a big bingo hall just up the road from me - maybe I'll go and check it out.

I think it's good to do something that has nothing to do with anything else in your life. That's often the best therapy.

Hobbit.

I'm a bit crafty...

Make all our cards

Make quilts

Knit

X stitch

not very good at sitting & doing nothing 🙂

I have a friend that does quilting...not for me, but it looks pretty interesting. She is really into it at least!!

It's interesting to read of all the different hobbies.  For a sstraight out "me time" hobby it's quilting and craft.  I also do a bit of embroidery and a lot of reading. 

My husband loves fishing and boating and they're something we enjoy doing together.

I live tapestry because it's so portable. But live quilting and bag making too
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance