Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Annabelle
Contributor

I hate exercise

I want to exercise. I need to exercise for so many reasons. Weight, fitness, mental health and more. I plan to exercise. I brainstorm and write lists about what I could do and where, when and how often I could do it. I know what to do. Every so often I give it my all. The gym, walking the dog, swimming. None of it lasts more than a few months. I need to find something sustainable but I am hopeless. Take this morning. An early morning walk was on the agenda to kick off my new exercise plan (to accompany my new healthy eating plan), but it is now 9.15 and I am still in bed, warm and cosy with my feet resting on my warm hot water bottle, feeling relaxed. Instead of walking I am typing. "I'll do it later", I tell myself, but the cliche is true. Later never comes. I will post at the end of the day and let you know whether another day has slipped by or whether I have managed to do some exercise today. As for the healthy eating plan ...
25 REPLIES 25

Re: I hate exercise

Hi Annabelle,

Thanks for your post. All I can say is that you are more than likely just like a lot of people. Speaking for myself, I don't really like exercising either!! (even though I know I should!)

I think the fact that you think about it and even have an agenda to do some exercise is pretty positive in itself. Maybe I will do some exercise myself! Good on you!!

Dear Annabelle,
If there is the honesty award of the year..you should get it :0)

Just an idea.....
My friend bought himself a stretchy thing from a sport shop and when I went to visit him, he got a stretchy extra cord he had and fastened a handle on each end which when inspired.....

Sometimes not for days at a time....or even once every two or three weeks,....,I use,,, 10 x3 times I stand on it and stretch my arms up holding onto stretchy cord and standing on em. ... I think they are actually called stretch cords. Took me about six months to graduate to 10 stretches times 3...

But agree with The Hobbit.... You will probably end up living well..

Hi Hobbit,
What exercise would you do if you were to do any?

Thanks for the tip. I will give a go (well maybe). It sounds good.

Hi Annabelle,

I think any exercise is good exercise!! I used to go walking a lot (really hours-long walks) - I find that helps clear my mind if I need to sort something out - you don't have to think about what you are doing except putting one foot in front of the other so you can really think!!

I also think we as humans are very habitual beings - so an exercise regeme (ANY exercise) if done continously can become a habit, like anything else. For instance, I used to do a whole heap of push ups and sit ups every morning, and it became such a habit that after a while, I found I couldn't really wake up properly until I had done them, it had just become a part of my morning routine as much as having a shower and having a coffee.

So I gues what I'm saying is that exercise became such a habit that I didn't really even think about it, I just did it.

In other words, I think some habits are good. I try to make a habit of noticing the sun on a nice day, saying hello to someone, being helpful to others - it works for me...after a while I don't even notice I'm doing it!!

Hi Hobbit,
Thanks so much for your reply. I think your advice is very sound and I shall take it on board.
Anne

Exercise! For me, it has to be functional. Walk the dog, ride the horse, etc. The gym just does not do for me at all :-).

I am sure that many people feel the same way as you do. Personally I don't like gyms but love walking; howvever even though I love walking (once I'm out there) I still find it difficult to motivate myself. What I have tried and works for me is having a friend to go with so we can have a good catch up on the way. Perfect now that IS my favourite activity and the exercise is just coincidental.

Exercise i think is the best to clear my head when its feeling busy or stressed out. I started my fitness kick by walking laps around the local oval. Its like meditation for me 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance