Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Knitting

thanks @Judi9877 for explaining, i think i get it.  

i am knitting three different headbands for friends who have ordered them.  I am now going to make some bath salts and dry clay ornaments to try to sell.

Hi @BlueBay @Gwynn @Daisydreamer @Eve7 @Ripples @cloudcore @frog and all knitters here. I hope you are enjoying the fun and relaxing moments that knitting brings you! 

As for me, I finished the first section of my Mental Health Recovery Blanket on Friday night which I'm quite proud of and have posted a photo below. I found the process very relaxing as knitting the strips of 120cm gave me a purpose and something to do when I was in hospital and at PARCS getting better with my psychosis. I'm so glad it's worked out the way it has. I'm now working on the second section to make the blanket 1.6m in length and then the final section will be 4 strips of 10cm wide to make the total blanket 1.8m x 1.8m in size so a great bed size for me to snuggle up to. 

95AF3B17-717A-4F47-97BF-DFA3DB3A3EF3.jpeg

I've also just spent some more time yesterday working on a size 1 child's jumper that I plan to give to charity when I finish it. 

Keep on enjoying your knitting forumite friends🧶

Judi9877☺️💐🧶

Great job on your blanket @Judi9877Smiley Very HappyHeart

Love your blanket @Judi9877  well done!!!

Hi there @BlueBay @Gwynn @cloudcore @Daisydreamer @Eve7 @Rhye @Ripples @Shaz51 and all forumites here. Just checking in to see how you're all going with your knitting.

I've been knitting beanies for my PARCS workers (the 3 beanies) and another beanie for charity which I just finished this afternoon right before lunch. I'm finding that beanies tend to be my coping strategy when I'm stressed which is good as it calms me down and keeps me focused which helps me a lot.76DD288A-04D8-414D-822C-D8C35E4137C0.jpeg

3D19321B-B4A6-4C08-A07E-B4DA08D80A77.jpeg

I hope you enjoy my beanie creations as much as I've had fun knitting them.

Judi9877☺️🧶

Rhye
Senior Contributor

@Judi9877 These are really beautiful, particularly knowing how making them has made you feel calmer and focused.

Do you know what it is about knitting that makes you feel calm? I find that there are some activities or past times which have an inbuilt calming effect for me (gaming and drawing in my case), and being able to tease out why doing these activities has a calming effect helps me to use those skills throughout my day when I'm struggling.

Ohh @Judi9877  they are beautiful xx 

My grandmother used to knit me tops when I was  young 

@Rhye , @Gwynn , @BlueBay , @cloudcore 

Good evening @Shaz51 @Gwynn @Rhye @BlueBay @cloudcore @Daisydreamer @Ripples and all knitters here.
I'm just posting an update on my Mental Health Recovery Blanket that I've been working on last night and today which is the completed section of Part 2a- the ladder or steps on the side of the blanket. To me, this part of the blanket represents the steps to my recovery which in the past several weeks since my discharge from hospital and PARCS has seemed to be like steps of a ladder which I seem to climb up a few for some good days yet down a lot due to my bad days which I'm putting down to my expectations of me thinking that once I left hospital and PARCS, that I'd be fine and back to normal functioning of the mental health status of my life. I've since learnt through my psychologist and my GP that as I've been through a psychosis episode, my brain and mind are going to take a while to recover, including time after proper treatment in the 2 psych treatment facilities so I have to be patient and take time with my recovery. Aka, don't rush it and put pressure on myself to be perfect all of a sudden which is what I expected but obviously didn't happen as I've learnt over the past 3 weeks with issues of suicidal thoughts and voices and wanting to self harm which I never did do. I've learnt that I'm stronger than my thoughts and that I feel safe and calm when I am knitting which is why this blanket is so special to me. This blanket has given me a purpose and has allowed me to be creative with the yarn colours and combinations of colours and has allowed me to use my time productively when on the hospital psych ward and at PARCS. It's created conversations with people experiencing mental illness at PARCS and with nurses and other staff on the hospital ward and at PARCS as well which has allowed me to be social and to associate this blanket with more than just my psychosis episode but about tdd as liking about the benefits of knitting as well with mental health which I didn't expect to happen.

See below for the updated blanket photo!

86CF78BB-EA4F-4285-BD68-2FA35AF4A13D.jpeg

Thanks for reading this post. I look forward to seeing more of your knitting creations and other things you create. 

Take care and keep on knitting 🧶!

Judi9877😎💐

Thanks for sharing @Judi9877 

Hi there fellow knitters! I'm currently struggling with my mental health in relation to my moods so I thought the best thing I can do is pick up my needles and get knitting as a way of trying to improve my thoughts and moods. I'm working on a Self Care Squares blanket as I think I need some self care right now!
I also found this saying that I thought you might like- I'm not sure if it's been posted before so I'm sorry if it's a repeat! It sums up how I'm feeling and thought it was quite appropriate for me and maybe some others as well. 

6E7F0900-79E8-46AC-8520-9054CE64D105.jpeg

Keep on enjoying your knitting forumite friends!

Judi9877🧶🌻☺️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance