Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

Re: Knitting

Hi @Judi9877 , I'm just a beginner knitter, but at the moment I'm making a blanket with 6 mm bamboo needles and acrylic yarn, in squares out of plain stitch.  My mother says it'll be a summerweight blanket when I'm finished.  It was supposed to need 28 squares and I'm not counting the pile of squares I've got finished - I'm about haflway there.  I've been knitting like this since my hospitalisation and so I like to think of my blanket as my recovery blanket.  I'm knitting it to give away to charity, but I'd like to be able to knit well enough to knit someting for keeps.  I find smaller needles difficult to use, but my mum keeps encouraging me to try with smaller needles for my next project...  I think I'd rather try to learn purl and try and make this scarf:  https://sheepandstitch.com/library/mistake-rib-stitch-for-beginners/  How did you graduate from larger needles to smaller needles?

Hi @Gwynn @utopia @Judi9877 @Appleblossom @NatureLover 

I have been knitting for a while now.  I started three years ago when my granddaughter was born.  Knsitting little things was easy.

I'm currently knitting a blanket with left over wool.  It's quite thick so I am using big needles.  It's grey and yellow wool. 

I find knitting quite calming 🙂

Great you enjoy knitting @BlueBay and great benefits for A!

Heart

@GwynnLook for a project with slightly smaller needles.  I started off with medium needles and was amazed when I first used large ones, how fast things grew. 

Smiley Happy

@Judi9877Ha ha ... yarn and needles in case of car issues ... its great we can take the idle hands away from the devil these days amd simply understand we humans are wired for acitivity and does not need to be frenetic, but also fine if we go at speed.

Smiley Happy

@NatureLover @utopia 

Smiley Happy

Hello fellow knitters @Appleblossom @Gwynn @BlueBay @utopia @NatureLover and all other knitters here! 
I have just completed a knitted picture of a dinosaur that I found off the internet as a free pattern. It's just basic knit and purl stitches to make up the picture and can be used as a square to make a blanket or as a dishcloth which tends to be a popular thing at the moment. I used 4mm knitting needles to knit it on. I hope you can all see the photo. Enjoy!

9B1919FF-24F5-40BF-BC1C-C1542B5D01CC.jpeg

The pattern is from a website called Daisy and Storm and has lots of other designs to knit if anyone is interested, including transport, animals and beach type things like shells and whales. 

Enjoy your knitting everyone!

Judi9877☺️🧶

@Gwynn @Judi9877 @Appleblossom @BlueBay @utopia  I knitted in the past. It’s a lovely thing to do, for so many reasons. It’s lovely reading how much everyone enjoys doing it. 🧶🧶🧶🧶

Waiting for pic @Judi9877 💕💕

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

@Appleblossom - will try going down a size and see how that goes for me.
@Judi9877 that looks so cute! How long did it take you to whip up?

23ec58bbe1f3400f383a93d88396b85e.jpg

Hi @Gwynn @Maggie @Appleblossom @BlueBay @utopia @Former-Member @pipinya and everyone visiting. What's on everyone's knitting needles at the moment?

I'm currently knitting a teddy bear on 4mm needles. It's a different version from Red Cross Trauma Teddies that I like to adjust the pattern to. I'm making one for a charity that I knit for. It's helping me to relax as I store the pattern on my phone so I can pick it up whenever I want to as well as having a paper pattern on standby. I'll post a photo soon.

Enjoy your knitting and stay safe🧶☺️

Judi9877

Gwynn
Senior Contributor

Hi @Judi9877 , Are teddy bears hard to knit?  I've just finished the scarf (pictured below at the start of November) I was talking about before - now it's waiting for my mother to help crochet the ends together so it can be finished!  I have asked for wool for Christmas, too... o:-) Currently knitting a yellow square for my blanket - my knitting has really gotten better over this last year!!! 

success.jpgIMG_1988.JPG

thanks @Judi9877  for tagging me 🙂

currently i am knitting some grey, white and lemon long strips.  then i will sew them up altogether to make a big blanket.

the wool is really thick.  i haven't knitted for a while, but i must get back into it.

your knitting sounds really cute and for a great charity.

@Judi9877 

I'm not knitting at the moment. I tend to knit when i'm in hospital. Gives me something to do and calms me down.

I look forward to seeing a photo of your finished project.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance