Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Looking after ourselves - caring about others

Hi all,

I am a big believer in self-care: looking after myself, practising healthy boundaries, listening to my intuition and body, knowing my limits and being aware of my triggers. I have realised on my recovery journey that looking after myself involves all of these things. My recovery also involves a certain level of altruism - a genuine interest in the wellbeing of others without expecting anything in return. Of course this isn't 100% true. As humans we practise care and compassion as a survival mechanism (so that the care and compassion are reciprocated). And that is a good thing. It is ok to put kindness and love out there and expect it to be returned in some way, shape or form.
I know that if I am feeling particularly down and I allow myself to be vulnerable on this forum, others will show their compassion. This allows me to  'step outside' of my own stuff for a bit and extend my empathy to others who may need it.

Take care of yourself and others🤗

Compassion is catching 💞

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Looking after ourselves - caring about others

Thank you for your lovely post, @Former-Member  🙂

I know that when I've been so ill that I have nothing to offer others, it's a horrible hopeless, helpless feeling. It's good and healthy to want to 'give back' in some way I reckon. And people here are amazing at doing that, even when they're going through simply awful things themselves. ❤

My pleasure @NatureLover 💚

It's amazing how traumatic experiences can often help strengthen our resilience and compassion. We always have something to offer (even when we feel we have lost hope).

Your love and kindness shine through NL 💖

Aww, you just made my day with your kind words! Thank you ❤

Your kindness and care also shine through, @Former-Member 🙂

Aww...thank you @NatureLover 😊🧡

Loved your post @Former-Member 

I am learning to find my intuition.  I unwittingly denounced it and pushed it away for a long time.  Being older, and able to look back and see things in perspective, I am finally able to honour my path.

Its great having you and @NatureLover so active in the forum.

Smiley Happy

love your new thread @Former-Member Smiley Very Happy

hello @Appleblossom@NatureLover 

Aw thanks @Appleblossom 🧡. It's good that you are following your intuition 😇 and it's lovely having your support 😊

Thanks @Shaz51 💖

I love this thread @Former-Member and you are so articulate. Really uplifting and inspiring. Same goes for you @NatureLover @Appleblossom @Shaz51

My whole self perception changed when I found this forum and discovered that I had something to give. I went from seeing a large part of who I am as a liability, to knowing that my experience is worth something, worth sharing.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance