Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Arizona
Senior Contributor

My day

I'm really proud of myself and how well I have been managing myself today. I have been looking after myself and I have been doing a really good job. 

Something has happened to trigger me and I'm not in a good space. I won't be able to do the things I wanted to do.

I don't want to let this negative experience take away from how well I have been doing today.

I'm not expressing myself very well right now but I think it's important that I acknowledge myself.

3 REPLIES 3
Arizona
Senior Contributor

Re: My day

In case anyone is wondering, I wrote this post yesterday in a desperate attempt to empower myself but it didn't work.

Heya @Arizona 

I relate to this feeling, when something comes along and we don't want it to unravel our progress or make us discount our progress.

Something a therapist once said to me is that there is a difference between a 'lapse' and a 'relapse'. A lapse can be brief and kind of like a momentary thing that we can bounce back from. This changed how I thought of recovery and made me realise that it doesn't have to be linear and that there will be tiny and sometimes big lapses all the time. 

You are right to be proud of yourself. 🙂 

- periwinklepixie 

@periwinklepixie wrote:

Heya @Arizona 

Something a therapist once said to me is that there is a difference between a 'lapse' and a 'relapse'. A lapse can be brief and kind of like a momentary thing that we can bounce back from.

- periwinklepixie 

@periwinklepixie, I really relate to this as well. On my wellness journey I don't plan for lapses but do expect them. I try to learn something from each and try not to beat myself up. I do try to 'limit the blast radius' when they occur - that is the destructive behaviours I used to use as coping mechanisim's. When I am ready I try again. 

Agree @Arizona, you should be proud of yourself Smiley Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance