Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

janedoe2
Senior Contributor

Old memories

I was left by my parents when I was sixteen and many decades later I am haunted by memories of rejection. I have a relationship with my parents but am recently experiencing intence memories of abandonment.

I'm working through these memories and realise I'm not completely healed.

Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4
Lunar
Senior Contributor

Re: Old memories

Hello @janedoe2

Thank you for sharing these difficult experiences, it sounds incredibly hard dealing with memories of rejection and abandonment, are you currently getting some support for that through a Psychologist? This can be a helpful way of having a safe place to work through difficult feelings and continue to connect with others, as these feeling can be brought up within interpersonal dynamics with your friends, colleagues, people at sporting clubs, etc. Sometimes there can be triggers too, so it important you have some support for when that happens.

It is really helpful that you are also reaching out on the forums for some support with all of this at the moment too,

Lunar

Thank you for your advise. I do see a psychologist regularly. I will discuss this with them.

Rejection and feelings of abandonment are tricky. @janedoe2 

Look around the boards and you will hear many stories and can share with lots of people who are trying to make some sense of belonging for themselves on this forum.

Smiley Happy

Hi @janedoe2,

I know that you posted this a while ago, but I thought that I'd check in and find out how you have been going with everything?

I also thought I'd share with you, some othe links to a thread on the forum, and to one of our blogs, that focus on simmilar to challenges to the ones that you have identified.... you can read them:

here and here 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance