Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Parents Supporting Unwell Adult Children

I can identify so much with this. Mine currently in a High Dependency Mental Health Unit but dreading if/when they release him that it will start all over again.

I don't know how to tag but can you add me in to this discussion. Thanks 

can you tag me in please

thanks

Hi all

I am new to this site, and I suppose I just wanted to vent a little bit. My son is 19 and has ASD, severe Anxiety disorder, and has recently been diagnosed with schizophrenia. He has also been adicted to dope and alcohol. I have an ex husband who refusses to help unless it is to provide  him with money for either of his addictions, and to contridict everything that I say. 

It has been a very hard 2 plus years with no support from family and because of the limited time that I have for myself I would not discuss my issues with any of the people who know me. 

I have threatened to kick him out of the family home, and I feel like I am not a good mother, I know I should be there for him through everything because he has no one else expect his older brother who has Aspbergers so he does not understand sometimes either. 

As I said this is more of a vent, we live in a rural town and our mental health facilitors up here are absolutely hopeless.

@Faith-and-Hope @Shaz51  and greenpea. Hello all. I hope you are having an improved day today. I was wondering if any of you know of a organisation in the Sydney region that offers a peergroup for teenagers with mental health problems. My son might feel a bit relieved that he is not the only kid out there with psychosis and he might pick up some tips and make some more friends. Also I am looking for some teen activities that might get him out of his worries for a while. I'm sad to read of everyones struggles.I hope you all have some good days.  This thread is very helpful Faith and Hope because I see similar experiences that other parents are struggling with and I don't feel like a freak and a bad mum. That's why I want a peer group for my son. So he can meet kids with similare experiences. 

I am nowhere near your area @Sweet_cheeks, but I would recommend you ch class out some teen art centres.  Art brings kids together and gives them a healthy way to express what they are going through .... helps them grow.

There is generally a great respect for mental health and mental health issues amongst art communities.  Might be good for you to find one too ....

@warmsunhelps 

This is the discussion thread that I referred to 😁.

Thank you for the support. I disappeared for ages, as it all got too much. I appreciate your understanding, my own mental health took a turn for the worse, with no support or understastanding locally.

My dear trusted old online friend, thank you x

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance