Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

3forme
Senior Contributor

Pets for carers

When our daughter became unwell with psychosis, things were pretty dreadful for the whole family, including younger siblings. We had to move our family to be able to get the right help for her.

After we moved, our daughter suggested we get a puppy. I wasn't very happy with the idea! With hospital admissions, counselling appointments and caring for a very unwell teenager I thought the last thing I needed was a dog. It just seemed like it would be more work for me.

We eventually did get a puppy, who has grown into a beautiful gentle dog. Yes, she has given me some extra work, but has given us back so much more!

At first, she helped me by staying with my daughter in her room. She just seemed to know when something wasn't going well and would come and get me. As my daughter's condition improved, our dog attached herself to me.

She has an uncanny ability to know when any member of the family is feeling anxious and will come and sit with them.  I find just patting her melts away so much of my anxiety. We now have another dog and they are both great company. I think our dogs have taught us so much about "living in the moment" and no matter how bad we feel they are there for us.

I wonder if anyone else has been helped in this way by their pets?

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Pets for carers

Yes pets are wonderful friends to have for recovery! My partner and I have 2 cats, and our older cat tells my partner when it is time for him to go to bed by meowing sharply at him until he goes to bed.

Pets can be amazing for carers and sufferers. My cats are always there when things go wrong - and patting them reduces anxiety and stress.

I also have a dog and I have found he has been a great help in reminding me to live in the now.
He alerts me when something is wrong with anyone else in the house,
He knows just when you need someone to snuggle up to you.

You're absolutely right. The non-judgmental affection of pets can make it so much easier for people to come out of themselves, and relate to the animal and to other people. They're a great conversation-starter in the park too!

I would definately reccomend having a pet to be apart of a support system for people with mental health concerns, their families and carers alike. From my experience when anxiety rears up I have noticed that dogs in particular have an uncanny ability to sense this and they do not hesitate to get close and help comfort.

Harry

I don't have a dog, or a cat. In fact, I have no pets as I rent in an inner city apartment and my lease forbids it. I did grow up with pets however, and I realise the profound impact that they have on my well-being. So I make sure that I take time to pat dogs and cats (obviously happy, non aggressive ones) if I see one on the street, or I when I'm visiting friends with pets I make sure that I take time with their pets. It's amazing how these small amounts of time with animals can boost my spirit.Cat Very Happy

This is for all us apartment dwellers who can't own puppies and kitties

I love animals, so good for the soul. Here's something that I thought you all might enjoy:

http://justsomething.co/26-funny-photos-of-guilty-dogs-caught-in-the-act/

Hehehehehehe that's so cute.......made me smile.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance