Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Self care by growing a garden

Pruned all the dead wood off a lemon tree (which I am so pleased to have 🍋). 

A neighbour has given me 4 x kangaroo paw plants.

Love Kangaroo Paws @Former-Member, have not yet succeeded in keeping one alive.

The plants are in need of potting up  @Smc thought if I did that with native mix I could sit them in an oblong planter rather than put them in ground (Don't really have a spot for them).

mine need repotting too @Former-Member , @Smc , @Adge , @Determined , @Appleblossom 

trying to decide to put them in the garden or in bigger pots

Kangaroo paws don't like wet feet @Shaz51 , you might find they do better in pots, particularly in the wet season.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Have done a bit of pruning over the last couple of days. 

Had a day out with Hubby yesterday. We spent most of it in and around a regional botanical garden. They had a nursery on site. A couple of plants followed me home, suprise suprise. 😄

The day before yesterday was a big "in the garden" day for me. I finished planting up a half finished garden bed. I don't think there's room for much more in there now. It's a mixed bed. There was already garlic planted at the back, I've added in a punnet of Chinese Cabbages, there's a few herbs and leafy greens scattered throught it, and the rest is annual and perennial flowering plants surrounding a young pomegranate tree.

I've put two peonies in that bed, another in a different bed (which is also now about "at capacity") and a fourth one will be going in the bed I weeded out a few days ago. Two are named varieties, the others are unnamed, but as they were the "leftover stock" of a very good nurseryman when he closed his business, I'm eagerly expecting them to be good ones.

Nice @Smc 😀

Gave away another succulent plant (large) today to friends who visited.

Think another of the bulbs might be a scilla peruviana hughii - certainly has the form of the regular scilla, but not the blue colour. 

Kangaroo Paws are mostly from areas with sandy soils - eg here, where most of them are native to.

Yep, as @Former-Member said, they don't like wet feet at all.

Potted K Paws is a good idea, they might be happier with that.

I don't have any at the moment.

Despite having pure sand for soil, I still managed to have them all die (years ago).

I am very happy with my Bull Banksia though, they can be hard to grow. It's now about 4m high.

My Nasturtiums got cut back, on Tuesday. I love them, with their different flower colours.

Yet they have covered the entire back yard, in recent years - they climbed the trees & bushes (& almost smothered some of them).

The Nasturiums came from just one packet of seeds (about 20 years ago). They self-seeded themselves out of the original pots, then around the entire back yard.

Adge

@Adge 

Successfully growing a bull banksia =  🙌 (a horticultural triumph)

Nasturtiums smothering other plants = 😵

Getting the nasturtiums cut back = 😀

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance