Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Social stigma and self care

Reading back I can see you were are of the discussion earlier too @BryanaCamp ... so hi to you too.

Stigma is simply awful, and @Hope4me I love your idea about creating education opportunities out of this situation in whatever way opens itself up to us.  It might be placing a pamphlet about PTSD on a local community noticeboard, or asking the local library to bring in a book about the subject for you, and carrying it with the title displayed to others around you in as natural way as you can manage, as a conversation starter.  If you can organise an information evening, that would be fantastic, and perhaps a speaker on the topic, or Ted talk screening, would help with delivery of content.

In very small-minded communities it can be very hard, and that is one circumstance where online support can really come into it’s own, but keep shining your light within the community anyway, and give them a chance to get over themselves and more used to you.  They will see that you don’t have three heads if they see you around and minding your own business amongst them, which does take courage, which we are here to support.

Hugs (or fist-bumps 🤜🤛) for your pain and courage .....

@OneofUs @Hope4me 

Hi @Faith-and-Hope ‘n heimer .. lol

Does that translate to “Hii @Faith-and-Hope at home” ?

I got used to using an online translator while I was away @TAB

Thankyou for that really helpful post @Faith-and-Hope. It's lovely to see you back in action btw!

The issue of stigma's a hard one for sufferers who want so desperately for non sufferers to understand and empathise.

When we used to complain about issues at work, my boss would say; "Ok, well that's not good. What can you do about it? Give me some ideas for solutions and we'll start there."

For people who wanted others to fix their problems, getting this response was a nuisance. He was onto something though. He taught us to try different ways of approaching the problem to begin with, mainly to avoid the same down the track as well as deal with the immediate concern.

I watched a video presentation about autism from the perspective of an autistic girl. What an eye opener that was! Their twirling, rocking, chanting and obsessive routines finally made sense.

If there's one out there for anxiety sufferers, it'd be ideal to present in situations like @OneofUs mentioned.

Have a great day!

Hope xo Heart

You too @Hope4me 💕

Hello, @OneofUs I'm sorry you're having such a rough time in a small country town. 

Good on you for getting onto the SANE Forums. 

Bummer that you don't have any choice about disclosing, and that people are treating you as incapable because they've heard you have PTSD. 

Your idea of finding support and friends online sounds good to me. I live in a regional town which has some diversity, some non-judgemental people, but still a lot of unenlightened people who are quick to judge and patronise anyone known to have mental health issues. 

Sounds like you're looking for ways to increase your emotional resilience and boost your self-esteem in the face of stigma and lack of opportunity to do the work and volunteering that has meant so much to you. 

I would suggest you focus on affirming to yourself the things that you have done, and can still do, to bolster your sense of self, rather than trying to educate people. Maybe try an information session later, when you're feeling more confident. (I'm speaking from experience here, as I tried to organise a mental health information event in my town, and found the unwillingness of some community leaders really discouraging)

Lack of money is an obstacle, as you've said, if you can't afford the petrol to travel to be a volunteer, but maybe there are other ways you can share your strengths and skills that don't cost so much money?

Maybe doing a free course online through Coursera, in anything that interests you -- arts, science, marketing, history, another language -- could help by giving you tasks that you can feel good about accomplishing? 

Best wishes! 

Hi all, stigma is a big issue for me in the small country community I live in. Anyone got any helpful tips in dealing with it?. @OneofUs @greenspace @Faith-and-Hope @Hope4me @TAB 

Hi @LFS 

Apart from what I've suggested above, I'm pretty much out of ideas, but I do wish you luck in confronting this issue in your local community. You're willing to explore options so that's great. 👍😃 Maybe there's info sheets to peruse on this site.

Hugs...

Hope Heart

PS.. I wish I could be more help, but I haven't slept in 36 hrs; not firing on all cylanders unfortunately. x

Hi @LFS.

In my experience people tend to fear things that they are unfamiliar with, and don’t understand.  If you can remain polite, and quietly get on with your own business, but not hide away, then others in the community will be curious for a while .... but they will begin to see that you are not someone to be feared, and you are more like everyone else than the ways you or your behaviour might differ a bit, owing to mental health issues .... and they should start to settle down ..... and you settle in.

Education can help.  Maybe ask to put a mental health flyer to do with your particular challenges up on a community noticeboard, in a community centre or library .... and give people the opportunity to get to know more about mental health and stigma that way.  A librarian might help you if you ask, and perhaps  information websites can be listed there.

Let us know how you get on ?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance