Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: The Virtual Village - a space for parenting 'stuff'

Sending lots of love @Teej .  I agree with @CheerBear  about how important it is that your son get in and do some of the housework, not criticize you for what you haven't done.  It's everyone's work who lives in the house, not just your job as the parent.  After all, they all contribute to creating the work in the first place.  Hope you're feeling a bit better this morning xx

Hi @Sweet_cheeks   hope today goes really smoothly for you and your son with his move and that it makes life better for both of you.  Take care today.

@CheerBear  thanks for the thanks!  Some of my stories are not pretty but I tell them only in the hope they will help someone else - even if it's to avoid what I did.  Have a good day.

Thinking of you and sending loads of love @Faith-and-Hope  xx

@eth Thanks Eth

Hi parents! I just found this forum. I have just left an abusive relationship and my toddler and I have restraining orders in place. This is all new territory for me and I have so many anxieties about how to make sure she has the least amount of negative experience moving forward from this, I am still going through the legal system, and am trying to get my 2 yr old back into a normal sleep routine, she’s in my bed all the time, now, and I was wondering if there was any advice here? She needs to feel safe but I could do with some me time 😕 

thankyou 

Hi @Loreli and welcome to the forum.

Leaving an abusive relationship can be a really hard thing to do and really hard with little people involved too. I'm sorry to hear you've been through that. I left when my kids were little and then left again (with orders in place etc) a few years ago. It's a tough one. 

It's so hard to balance your own needs and the needs of your kids. I really empathise with how difficult it is to find a way to provide that safety for your daughter and the time you need on your own or to have your own time, especially if safety for her means constantly being with you as it can often do.

I don't have much in the way of advice with sleeping. For me it was harder to fight them with sleep than it was to have them in my bed (that can still be the case at times 😏) but I know that's not something everyone can or wants to do. It's what worked for us and doing what worked for us was a really important part of getting through it all. Again, lots of empathy though. Trying to get some kind of routine in it all can be super hard. Have you tried calling Parentline? They can be really helpful with practical suggestions when it comes to all things kids. You can find contact details for Parentline in your state here 

Going through what you are at the moment is huge (I'm guessing). How are you travelling yourself?

Really glad you found the forum. I hope it's helpful for you to be here. 

Thankyou so much for your response @CheerBear ! 

I'm finding the same, that it's easier not to fight them with sleep. I don't mind her in the bed, I think it is helping both of us feel safe at the moment! I'm trying to get her bedtime routine more compact so that I can essentially get back up and watch tv or something for an hour or so after she has fallen asleep. 

I'm so sorry to hear that you went through similar situations, my heart goes out to you and your kids. I want to ask if it gets easier, but also I don't know if I want to hear the answer Smiley Embarassed

I have been doing the online course called parentworks, reccomended by my gp. I have found it really helpful so far, they go through different situations that apply to all ages. Its gov funded and university created, its a great resource. They go through quality vs quantity time, and positive attention at the best possible times to reinforce good behaviour, teaching emotional regulation, and Im up to learning how to do an age appropriate time out to de-escalate tantrums. Seems to be really good so far, and feels very 'non-judgey' if that makes sense. 

I think a big thing for me at the moment is that I am so overwhelmed that I am buried in my ipad and over-encouraging her to watch TV and movies. I don't have the mental presence to remain present with her, I just get upset, or irritable, or dissociate. I feel so guilty about it. I am trying so hard to really process my emotions now, because in the past I have been very good at just shutting all the emotions down. That makes it look like I'm coping incredibly well from the outside, but then I will end up with a serious deppressive or anxiety episode months down the line. I want to model normal emotions to my daughter, and I know I have to feel it to get through it, but god it's not easy. I will give parentline a ring, thankyou for that!

Sorry this is a very patchy response, I'm all over the place! 

Hey @Loreli. It's good to see you again. It's very OK to feel a bit all over the place. We do all over the place well here 🙂

I'd like to say it gets easier but that's crystal ball stuff. In my experience it does become different though and quite a bit of that is better. My kids are safer and it's been an incredible lesson in what really matters to me. I really hope you'll find that it gets better for you both.

It sounds like you're super insightful and in tune with your daughter and her needs (and your needs too, though that can be hard when you know what you need but you can't get it). The parenting course sounds really interesting and very helpful. I'll have a look at it properly sometime. If you're finding benefit in doing it you might also be interested in MindSpot who do online courses (free) with a mental health focus. 

I can relate well to a lot of your post. It's an incredibly tough time and can be so overwhelming. It makes a lot of sense that you're needing to tune out. I get how guilt can creep in when tuning out happens around our kids though. I struggle with guilt too. I wish there a was a fix to that and a way to ease it for all of us who, I genuinely believe, really are doing the best we can with what we have ❤

It sounds like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself at the moment which so many parents do. It's so hard when there's a lot of pressure on you as it is. Again from my experience, in an abusive relationship there's huge pressure to minimise the impact of it on our kids. That often doesn't stop when the relationship ends and we find ourselves under even more pressure as single parents. Just another thing I desperately wish could be eased in some way. 

What kinds of supports do you have around you? Are there friends, family, professionals etc supporting you?

It's really good to have you here. I found myself so alone with it all but knowing there were people here and a safe place I could turn has really helped me. Keep talking if it helps you. 

Hello @CheerBear@Loreli@Sweet_cheeks@eth@utopia 

@Former-Member, @Determined@Ant7@BlueBay@Wanderer@frog@Smc@Peri@Mrsjones@Snowie@greenpea 

sending you hugs and encouragement HeartHeart

how are you going @Ant7 Heart

Thanks @Shaz51 

Sending love and hugs back 💖

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance