Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Former-Member
Not applicable

Women's health issues

Hi everyone. I have some women's health issues with my periods. I was hoping someone who has been through a similar thing might have some advice /experience to share. Do not read on if you don't want to know the gory details.

So sorry if tmi. I have very heavy periods. I have been told that I have adenomyosis. This is what causes my issues. I am 43 years old and don't seem to be heading into menopause yet. I also have MH issues, schizoaffective disorder so I get psychosis and depression, no mania. I've seen 2 separate gynecologists and both were satisfied that hormonal treatments are not suitable coz they impact my MH. So they both recommend an endometrial ablation whereby they burn away the lining of the uterus. It's meant to stop or slow your periods for up to 5 years. I think I'll still get PMS but not my period (hopefully ). It's day surgery. I am unsure about it and whether just better to have a hysterectomy. Then I'd need to choose whether to keep my ovaries or not as my MH is affected during my cycle - PMS etc. Argh. I'm planning to go to my psychiatrist to ask their advice and maybe they can help. I really don't know what to do. I don't want to spend the thousands of dollars on this ablation procedure to only need a hysterectomy 5 years later. Any help is appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Women's health issues

Hi @Former-Member,

I think that your plan is a good one moving forward. See what your psychiatrist thinks of your options. You might also want to talk to your gynecologists regarding their opinions on what you're going to do. 

You might be hard pressed to find anybody with an answer to your dilemma on the forums, but hopefully we can provide some ongoing support for you.

Take care,
Bookworm

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Former-Member,

I as a teenager had the most the MOST agonising period pain imaginable. I would be in so much pain that I couldn't walk or talk. All I could do was lie in the foetal position and sob. But the pill pretty much fixed that for me and now I just get regular 'bad' period pain.........
But from what I learned from my experience is that
1. Some male doctors are shits and have no idea what they are talking about
2. It's worthwhile getting several opinions - I was initially told to take some paracetamol and go to school. (Endometriosis is a thing btw!)
3. You know your body best - so do what you feel is right for you.
4. Accept that you might make the wrong decision, and that's okay.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @Former-Member. I have been researching the options. Reading medical papers and forums etc. I'm going to cancel my day surgery and see the Drs again before rushing into anything. I know what I want. To be free from this pain. I think only a hysterectomy will achieve that.
Former-Member
Not applicable

Thanks @Bookworm. I.appreciate your support. It's tough having MI and other physical issues that can impact. I feel better about it all now.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance