Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Worry Room - Get it out, and walk away: No responses please

Social interaction & a sense of connection is essential to good health & well-being (mine at least).

There is none to have.

Every face-to-face group or activity has been closed.

All social opportunities are gone (for the time being).

I have virtually no phone contacts, certainly not social or supportive contacts.

I'm stumped, "Blindsided" (I think is the term).

I have not seen a human being in several days, except the retail cashier (briefly).

None of this was of my making - I am very social, or value social connections immensely.

There are none to have...

Adge

I want today to be over 

Feeling pretty miserable today and can't find a reason not to SH. I know no one cares. I know I'm supposed to care, but I just don't.

Hi @TheVorticon 

Sorry to hear you're feeling this way, people do care about you.  Is anything you could do to take your mind off SH, example mediation, listening to soft music, and look after yourself.

@Toscagon I tried going for a walk but there's too many people around.

Social Isolation/ not distancing -

Well at home there is no one to distance from - so no problem.

Otherwise distancing will have long-term negative social repercussions I believe.

Work has effectively shut down  (ad hoc) - after client services were cancelled one by one.

Getting basic supplies has been almost impossible - no toilet paper in shops for the past 3 weeks.

I had to beg to be allowed to buy just one bar of soap - was refused more.

Any isolation is not self-imposed - it's because of the cancellation of all available contacts (groups & activities).

It's hitting very hard.

Thanks for your thoughts.

You're in my thoughts too.

Adge

ohh it is hard 

got told the other day that i should be in isolation with my problems

we are self employed ( cleaning and mowing ) and my husband is thinking we can still keep working 

I'm struggling big-time, and I feel guilty for doing so.  So many have much more cause to be struggling than I do.  I haven't lost my job, like so many others during this coronavirus crisis.  I had no job to lose. Nor have I been significantly affected financially by the crisis. In fact being a part pensioner, with reduced deeming rates to come in soon, and the bonus of $750 to be received next month ... one could argue that I will be better off than I was, at least in the immediate sense.  Although, like everyone else, my paltry superannuation is becoming more depleted by the day.  When I am eventually eligible to access it (in another  6 years or so) I fear there will be nothing left to access. But I am not overly concerned about that right now. In the bigger scheme of things, I am hugely concerned about how this country can possibly pay for all this money we are handing out? 

The social isolation is not a problem for me, it's something I would happily do under normal circumstances. Now I have the perfect excuse to do so and nobody will ask questions.  My husband is finding it really difficult though.  With him being over 70yo with chronic health conditions and immunity compromised, he is facing many restrictions.  He is meant to be confined to the home from now on, for his own good.

So why am I finding all this so hard?  I fear for the world, as we know it. I am greatly saddened by the deaths around the world and for the businesses going under.  I fear for the families losing jobs.  I fear for the DV that will surely happen now.  I fear also for myself.  I feel very vulnerable right now.  Firstly the DV tragedy in QLD only last month, and now the Coronavirus problems.  It just shows how terribly vulnerable we all are.  And how fragile society itself can be.

So now I am cooped up with an unwell and  irate husband ... tensions are high and arguments are becoming more frequent. He is drinking more and that's a danger. I'm trying hard not to resort to alcohol myself, because my psych lectured me about that last time I saw her.  And that's another problem ... I have an appt with my psych in a couple of weeks, but it will be via telehealth.  I am worried about that, because I will not have any privacy at home to speak openly to her about all that is happening.

I would love to go and visit my Dad, spend a few days away ... but I know I cannot ... both because I am not meant to be travelling unnecessarily, and also because visiting my Dad could expose him to an added risk of catching the virus.  He is currently not well and is having numerous medical tests and scans last week and this.

My anxiety and OCD is getting the better of me ... depression has settled in, finding a permanent home. I'm becoming self destructive.  And today I've stuffed up massively, and likely lost the only real support I've had over the past 3.5 years .. these forums. In the process I've inadvertently hurt someone here that I care a great deal for.  So now they are likely suffering as much as I am.  I cannot forgive myself for that, and now I have burned my bridges, so to speak. So now with that said ... I need to walk away.  💔😢

❤️ @Former-Member  Hugs 

Hi Sherry, I'm one of the Mods. Hope you're okay. Have just sent you an email checking in.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance