Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

waves
Contributor

moving along

My young adult son was recently diagnosed with schizophrenia. To me is able to do almost everything but get a job. He is now taking meds, after some reluctance on his and my part, which seems to be helping his acute anxiety.

Now he is getting help from a community rehabilitation officer as well as a life coach.

He has less rants, less anger, less anxiety.  Onward.

Not sure about his getting a disability pension... he can and wants to work.  He has many talents, skills and is well educated. He needs the right job with caring people.

Looking forward to mental health week on the ABC.  Stigma and fear is still there.  I don't talk to anyone except my partner about my son's diagnosis. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: moving along

I like the title you constructed for your post, it definitely sounds like that is the case.

I noticed that you mentioned you don't talk to anyone about your sons diagnosis, is this something you would like to do?

How have you managed to deal with the changes before you?

Re: moving along

Hi @waves ,

Thought I'd just see how everything is going.

I was thinking, there are some good employment organisations that could assist your son if he feels like looking for a job that may not be too hectic.

There is CRS Australia, and you can find them here, there is also Job Access here and WISE Empoyment here

I hope this info helps you out somewhat.

Hobbit..

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance