Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Averting a Disaster

Hi @patientpatient, at the moment my middle son is in a critical and deteriorating situation. As I write he has barricaded himself in his bedroom. He has been burning things in there and left a pile of ash on the floor. He has been self-harming. He has said over the past three days that he wants to have a big talk with me but he hasn't as of yet. During the day, he lives in the car. At night he ransacks the house and when the rest of us wake up we never know where anything is or what has been thrown out. His bedroom stinks like you wouldn't believe. I can't seem to get him help. He resists it and because he is 18, he has to be the one to initiate it. I go back to work tomorrow and I am dreading it. Not only is my middle son in a very fragile state but my eldest son (who I thought had been looking very wide eyed lately) mentioned that he has not been taking his anti-psychotic for the past two weeks. His script ran out and he couldn't face going to the GP to get a new one. It feels like a ticking time bomb, just waiting to explode.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@perseverer
If your middle son is self harming and lighting fires indoors, it could be possible this constitutes involuntary criteria of being a danger to self and others ...

Thanks @Former-Member, I'm getting clarity step by step.

Hi @perseverer,

After a long period of weird behaviour and instability, my son completely shut down (could not speak or move) and hospital was the only option. He was 21 at the time. For a while, he hated me intensely for putting him in hospital (that's how he saw it) but now it's a different story and that initial stay was how the treatment started. As @Former-Member mentioned, your son's a risk to himself and others. An involuntary hospital stay is likely to be the best option. Suggest calling the CATT team, I hope they work on a Sunday in your location. Make sure they understand it's now a serious crisis.

And for later... re older son, you might have to take control of the meds; making sure he won't run out, dispensing every day. It requires a certain amount of organisation and my son certainly can't manage it. We've even had to work out a system so that he doesn't take meds twice (take them, then forget, then take them again).

I hope today goes OK.

Former-Member
Not applicable

I agree with the above, please ring the CATT team as your son is a danger to himself and others currently. His mental health is also rapidly deteriorating which to my knowledge is also criteria for such. Hope you are able to get the neccesary outside support your son needs soon.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Quick check in @perseverer

That is my thought too @perseverer ...... CATT team ..... for “danger to self and others” reason, and you need desperate support, which I think we can all hear clearly.

Are you in touch with Carers Australia ?

http://www.carersaustralia.com.au

Quite apart from this current crisis, you need ongoing support.

I know someone whose sister is in a share-house with staff.  It sounds like you have a family who warrant a share-house with staff, so you may be able to access a lot of the same sort of support with the idea of remaining in your own home .... ie carers coming in on a daily basis, and finance to adapt the house to needs ..... but I am unsure which department / departments need to be involved.

The premise is that if all the individuals that make up your family require hospitalisation and / or carers, and you require respite, that will load the system much more than supporting you all to remain in your home and familiar circumstances - around urgent treatment for your lighting-fires-son ......

Hi @Faith-and-Hope, @Former-Member, @Former-Member, @patientpatient and @greenpea, thank you for all for your comments. We live in a part of Australia where demand for the CATT team is very high and their willingness to come and visit is very low. In particular, they do not like to come unless the patient is compliant. (They demand to speak to the patient on the phone etc) They also do not see the point in coming if there is not an available hospital bed, and usually there is not. My eldest son who has schizophrenia was actually a whole lot more critically ill before he developed psychosis and the CATT team rarely came and were often quite rude when they did come. What they in fact prefer you to do is meet them at the hospital ER. The presence of psychosis makes all the difference. They properly assess you with a view to hospitalization. I have spoken to my middle son and warned him that I will call the CATT team if he shows the risk taking behaviour. The past week he has been more settled. But I avoid the CATT team wherever possible because they tend to be not very nice or helpful people unless schizophrenia is present.

My eldest son has been in shared living facilities and was refused admission the last time he applied because apparently the staff were too traumatised by his last stay to be prepared to take him back. I would like to be able to say specifically why, but I don't think this site will allow it. Other carers do not know my boys like I do. I am good at handling them. I know how to counsel them. I have several times had psychiatrists phoning me late at night to say how much they have personally learnt from watching me handle my eldest son and I have had them phoning me for advice with difficult situations, too. So what I want is not a heap of other people who don't know my family to come into my home. I am the best person to do the job. All I need is to be able to afford to do so.

My eldest son is the one who is in the public system and their attitude is that he is the one of central importance who needs to be protected. Their idea is to rescue him from his family and split the family up. They do not look at the family situation as a whole. They do not consider the stress on the family of having to visit someone not at home frequently. Or whether it is going to be detrimental to some other family person's health for parents to be away from the home directing all their attention to a sibling. 

I have had one phone call from Carers Australia which I have to follow up when I get a chance. I am also speaking to a financial advisor to see what I can practically do in my circumstances. 

My eldest son is back on his meds and has had one of his anti-psychotics reduced in an attempt to alleviate his restlessness. It appears to be working, so that is good. But his mood is very changeable all the time and he is stlil battling depression and occasional psychosis. The middle son is still creating a lot of filth and havoc and problems with moving things. I think he would like to be getting an income but he needs a lot of help to get to the first step.

I have taken tomorrow off work to sort some things out. One day at a time.

@perseverer

You have such a laden and heart breaking situation.

It should be obvious that the siblings' wellbeing are interrelated.

The fragmentation of approach could well unbalance the positives gained by one child.

I hope Carers can be of support.

It is terrible that the CATT team have been so unresponsive. 

Sorry I am bereft of ideas to help, but wanted to acknowledge your very tough gig.

Thank you for this next round of feedback @perseverer ..... and I hope talking to us about it is supportive for you.  I agree wholeheartedly that if you can just be given more support to do what you do, it is better to keep the family, and the relationships, functional within the family home.

Hoping that more resources do open up for you through Carers Australia and the financial adviser.

💜💐

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance