Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

ManicMum
Casual Contributor

Bipolar and now Cancer!

Hi, Everyone I have been in and out of hospital for the last 12 years for bipolar treatment. 5 weeks ago I was diagnosed with 2 different Cancers and I have had major surgery to remove one Cancer and now I am having 5 months of Chemo to treat the other Cancer. My 12 year son who isn’t coping very well with social isolation, homeschooling and me being so sick. I am also feeling overwhelmed, anxious and depressed. The Cancer Council isn’t running most of their support services because it’s clients are at high risk to catching COVID-19. Feeling very alone.

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Bipolar and now Cancer!

Hi there @ManicMum 

I am just sending you a check in message after reading your post from earlier today. I am sorry to hear that you are doing it really tough at the moment. Are you able to get any support from others off the forums during these trying time of lock down when your usual supports are unavailable?

If you are wanting to talk to a counsellor there is the SANE Help Centre, open 10am to 10pm weekdays on 1800 18 7263 or the Beyond Blue Corona Virus helpline 1800 512 348 which is open 24/7.  And Lifeline on 13 11 14 is always avaiulable. Sometimes talking to a counsellor can really help during dark times.

Please take care

Whitehawk

Hi @ManicMum That is an incredibly hard place to be. So much going on for you and so much to deal with. Being isolated at present would certainly be adding to the pressure - especially when the support groups are not available to help you get through some of it. Do you have any family/friends. GP, psych that can help with that support? We are also here to sit with you, listen and help you as you embark on this very difficult road - you are not alone.

That is a great idea, thanks. I just have to pluck up the courage to call. Thanks for your support.

Thanks for your support, I don’t feel so alone now. I have a GP is only doing face to face sessions, which scare me going into her clinic with very low immunity from Chemo.  I posted on a Cancer forum looking for someone with mental illness and cancer to chat to but I had no responses. Take Care.

Another support that could be useful is Kidshelpline: https://kidshelpline.com.au/  your son might be able to have a chat with someone there if he is feeling too overwhelmed etc?

Hey @ManicMum Just checking in to see how you are going today? Smiley Very Happy

Hi Zoe7, I am feeling less alone thanks. I had my Chemo yesterday so I am very sick at the moment. In a week when I am feeling a bit better I am going to take my son fishing or just go for a drive to water and enjoy the view. Something to look forward to. 

Hi Zoe,  I replied below.

That is somethoing to look forward to Hon and it is great you have that goal in mind for when you are feeling a little better. I can only imagine how hard chemo knocks you around so plenty of self care right now, rest and make yourself as comfortable as you possibly can @ManicMum 

FYI - If you put an @in fornt of the name you are replying to then you will get a drop down box with that person's name - click on that and it will show up green - just as I have done with your name above. That way I (or anyone you tag) will get a notification you have tagged and posted to them. Smiley Very Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance