Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

marybai
New Contributor

CPTSD and its connection to PTSD

Most therapists believe that CPTSD and PTSD are separate issues. But I recently experienced an accident ( I was run over by an SUV while walking in a parking lot, and a few months later started freezing up when trying to walk on the street. During  therapy  for this I discovered also suffer from CPSTD from childhood trauma, now having flashbacks of memories that were once buried in my subconscious. More recently I realize that my reactions to criticism are typical of that CPTSD, I freeze everytime, emotionally .Now I beieve that CPTSD made me more prone to to having the PTSD in adulthood. Does anyone agree?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: CPTSD and PTSD

Hi @marybai,

I have CPTSD and I know someone with PTSD for the most part our symptoms are the same for example flashbacks and nigh terrors but our ability to cope with stressful situations and are emotional and physical response to these situations are very different. But I also have DID, severe anxiety, depression and panic disorder so they all contribute to the way I deal with stress

Re: CPTSD and its connection to PTSD

Hi @marybai,

Welcome to the forums. This is a really interesting topic. I think you are aboslutely right about the link between PTSD and PTSD. There is a lot of evidence that early childhood trauma can make people more vulernable to developing mental health challenges, including PTSD in later life.

You sound like you have devloped a lot of insight into your triggers and reactions. 

What helps you to unfreeze and move foreward when you have that kind of reaction?

How do others with CPTSD challenge/ cope with learned behaviours that arent useful anymore?

You might find this Topic Tuesday interesting to read. Its about C/PTSD. You can check it out here

Re: CPTSD and its connection to PTSD

Hi, Thanks for responding to my post, I am a newbe at this.

I can recognize my triggers, I can feel the panic and a heaviness in my chest, I do a deep breathing technic that Peter Levine has described with an accent on the the exhale to activate the parasympathetic system, I simultaneously try and ‘let go of it’ to a higher power. In this way, situations do not grip me as badly, but I have not as yet experienced the the growth discussed in the forum that you directed me to. I think that this most recent incident facilitated my awareness of these deeper more complex issues.

I have a therapist that is working with me doing EMDR, no great break throughs yet being able to walk on the street, am challenging myself by using a cane for short distances, I hold the cane just above the ground and walk a few steps, once I start to freeze I use the cane to go to a safe spot. Some days are better than others. I know that there is a mental block because I can walk perfectly fine indoors. I am determined to beat this issue because it is crippling my lifestyle.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance