Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Annabelle
Contributor

Carer and consumer

This forum is for carers, but what if you are a carer and you have a mental illness as well. Which one takes priority? I have bipolar disorder but I am also a carer.

My eldest daughter has bipolar disorder and ADHD. My second daughter has no problems (although she is gay, which has caused her problems in the past). My third child, a son, has Down syndrome, autism, sleep apnoea, hearing loss and depression and my youngest has ADHD and severe anxiety. Despite this, you wouldn't pick us in a crowd and my family functions very well. 

Even though I am posting this in the Carers forum, I am drawn more to post in the Lived Experience Forum. Does anyone else relate to this?

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Carer and consumer

Hi Annabelle,

I get what you mean.  I think there are times we just feel more in our carer role or more in need of support on a personal level.  I'm bipolar and have children and parents with disabilities.  My role as a carer really took the front seat for so long I snapped before I learned I was just as important.  End of the day we are indeed both.

Hi guys,

Thanks for this great discussion. Makes me think of that old adage - "if we don't look after ourselves, we can't look after other as well". It's a very hard thing though, and I really appreciate your comments.

Hi Annabelle and JT,

Just thought I'd see how you guys are going?

HI Hobbit,

I just composed a message and then it vanished. I will wait to see if it goes through and if not, I will write it again. It basically said, 'I'm fine, but busy' (with the subtext added). How are you Hobbit?

Anne

Hey Annabelle,

Thought I'd just jump in. In terms of your message vanishing, try going to your profile and see if it's there under "auto saved drafts" on the right hand side.
Hope it's there! Nothing worse (well.. maybe a couple of things 🙂 )

Hi Annabelle,

'I'm fine, but busy' (with the subtext added).

No seriously, I'm good, and thanks for asking.I hope things are going OK for you. Keep us posted if you have any concerns or feel like someone to talk to. That's what these forums are for!

Hi Hobbit,

All good thanks.  Been a busy month!  

Hi guys,

Good to hear you are doing well. I have been busy too. On a personal level, I play guitar, and the other week I bought a REALLY good guitar, but it was set up REALLY badly!! So I just this afternoon got it back from the shop and hopefully it plays well. If it plays well, then maybe I can learn how to play well too ha ha!!

Aww Hobbit.....now we can ask....how's the guitar??
Lol.
what a good hobby!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance