Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

TBH
Casual Contributor

Carers matter

I have stopped  fighting  the fact that I have to be my husbands carer.. There are no other options unfortunately  for me. But I feel that I am expected to be  a 24/7  nurse taking blood sugar levels and blood pressure at the first sign that my husband is going pass out.. I am so tired that I cant be bothered to have a shower or wash my hair. and I wear my clothes to bed. I have one meal day at dinner time. My husband has a shower lady 3 times a week which is a help.. I spoke to the receptionist at our doctors clinic saying I am struggling and I need nursing help and I was told they dont do that.. I said to my husband tearing up that I think our situation was going to end with the death of one of us and it was going to be me. It is so hard.. I dont like being negative but I feel  like I'm losing the strength to keep going on like this. Thank you for letting me say how it is as  my friends and family dont know how to help me.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Carers matter

@TBH  Hey TBH it is a hard gig being a carer. So many emotions. People on the outside dont understand what it is like in reality unless they have lived it. I understand where you are coming from .... I often wonder where I am going with my son .... what will happen once myself and my husband have passed. What will happen to him. I worry and worry. This will sound awful but I hope he goes peacefully in his sleep before me then my worries will be over and I will know that his life has ended well and not in some situation like tht poor woman in south australia ..... uncared for and unloved. Does that make me a bad person?

Former-Member
Not applicable

@TBH 

Yes, carers matter and there is support and help available and can I gently encourage you to contact the Carer Gateway and access these. Here is a link:

https://www.carergateway.gov.au/help-advice/home

Both practical and emotional supports are available and you may well be able to get someone to sit with hubby or take him for a drive while you take time out to do things for yourself. 

As carers, sacrificing our own well-being and personal care is not healthy and when we do look after ourselves we become better carers. I have tagged you in a discussion thread giving carer tips which include looking after ourselves. 

Another tip is to speak to your doctor, not the receptionist, about your need for help, it might also pay to check with hubby's GP what a reasonable expectation is in relation to blood pressure & blood sugar monitoring.   

JB70
Senior Contributor

@TBH are there any options for respite if things get too much? I know when I am not coping, and I suggest such things to my hubby, he becomes less demanding because he doesn't want strangers in our life. But his needs are more emotional than physical. Still wearing though. 

@greenpea 

No it doesn't make you a bad person to want your son not to suffer or be alone. I have had similar thoughts with my husband. His illness is episodic though. So we have good times too. I have decided not to worry about what I have no control over. I just keep going and do what I can to cope. 
Hope today is an ok day for you 

hello @TBH@JB70 , @Former-Member , @greenpea 

I am a unpaid carer for my elderly mum

and my husband who thinks he is perfectly ok 

sending understanding hugs Heart

Thank you for understanding. You have to experience the situation to know how isolating and thankless it is. The person who was your partner in life is no longer the same person and doesnt know what you are going through. It is the battling alone that  is so emotionally difficult. It is grieving for love and support and the old way of life you enjoyed together.. I talk about those times to my husband and it does keep me going. Thanks again for the support

A carers role can be lonely and difficult. Hoping today is brighter for you @TBH Heart 

@TBH 

Yes. Let yourself grieve the loss of what you had. But then look for the joy that you can have within your limitations. 
I was reading a discussion that @Shaz51 recommended when I first joined the forum that had a lot of helpful information. Carers hints and tips to success. Sorry I don't know how to do it as a link. 😆 You might have to search.

good afternoon @JB70@TBH@Anastasia , @Former-Member , @greenpea 

Carers Hints and tips to Success 

and 8 dimensions of wellness 

just click on the link and it will take you there 

how is everyone going today xoxo

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance