Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Sonny1
Senior Contributor

Diagnosing bpd/npd? Is this possible. Is it worth it? Gaining support and help.

Hi. My mum has mental/emotional health issues has done all my life. I'm thinking cptsd and either bpd or npd. I've had no luck with diagnosis. Her gp is not too helpful, mum is very resistant towards diagnosis/anything wrong. Mind you finally after 39 years she has just started seeing a counsellor. But has brought my dad into it and blaming him for some of her unhappiness, which is somewhat true but she does have her own stuff too. (Childhood abuse). Can I get a diagnosis? How do I go about it? Resistance and all. Is it worth getting a diagnosis? As mum is not one to actively do what doctors say eg - eat well and exercise. Is there support? Can we get help? Thank you. 😀

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Diagnosing bpd/npd? Is this possible. Is it worth it? Gaining support and help.

Hello @Sonny1 and welcome to the forum

diagnosis is a funny thing -- my husband has been diagnosed with GAD, SAD, Inherited Depression, mayor depression and anxiety, panic attacks , bi Polar 11 and has been given medication for something elase

maybe seeing another Gp might help , there is support but if your mum does not want it -- my mr shaz has cancelled all help

Re: Diagnosing bpd/npd? Is this possible. Is it worth it? Gaining support and help.

Hello @Sonny1, have been thinking of you today , how are you my friend Heart

Hi @Sonny1

I can see why you are wanting a diagnosis so that your mum gets the right treatment for her mental health at the moment, it is extremely frustrating seeing a loved one go through a tough time and not reach out for support. It does however seem like a really positive thing that she is seeing a counsellor, that is a great start. You are certainly able to get some more support, there are family and carer organisations that can provide counselling, support groups, respit, etc:

Mental Health Carers Aus

1300 554 660

http://www.mentalhealthcarersaustralia.org.au/

Carers Aus

1800 242 636

http://www.carersaustralia.com.au/

How are things going recently? Hope you are taking care of yourself

Lunar 🙂

in my experience GP's dont tend to diagnose personality disorders or other complex mental health conditions so i would try seeing of she will go to see a psychiatrist instead. 

Hi @Lunar. Thank you for your message. I really do appreciate it. Thank you for understanding. It's been a very long time trying to get a diagnosis and trying to understand what is going on with her. It's an incredibly positive thing for her to be going to a counsellor. (After 39 years - my lifetime). Thank you for the numbers. Just trying to find each support option. It's a lot more helpful and easier to access now that she's getting older and has been diagnosed with memory issues. Acat are amazing. So much better and more helpful than the mental health care system from my experience. I personally am doing ok. I see a counsellor myself and am working through the emotional abuse and neglect that I experienced due to my mums trauma/mental health issues. It's tough and flashbacks suck and take it out of me. Just making sure I take time out when needed. I appreciate having this space where I can talk about it.

Thank you @Eden1919. I appreciate your message. Yes I agree. It's been my experience too. Especially a gp that I feel has no idea. And says there's nothing wrong with her. I'm working on getting my mum to see another gp whilst her one is away. Then some how getting a referral for a psychiatrist. It does make me feel bad doing this but there's something not right and my counsellor brought it to my attention what it could be. Bpd. I think it's npd or a bit of both. She was always very nasty.

@Sonny1 yes try another gp maybe but be prepared if she does get a diagnosis of a personality disorder then it will require a lot of work and effort on both sides to bring about change. 

Hi @Sonny1

I was just reading your thread and thought you might be interested in Topic Tuesday tonight. The topic is 'Caring for the women in your life'. It kicks off at 7pm AEST.

Take care,

Nik

Hi

Happy new year

Sorry it's been a long time. Alot has been going on. 

I got a diagnosis for my mum but, the psychaiatrist said that there was nothing we could do to help and didn't tell mum the diagnosis - just me. I ended up telling mum myself. xher response was weird - that kinda makes sense, i kinda thought something was up but continues with Narcasistic behaviours. It's tough and constantly getting no love, thankyou for busting my arse to help her but I think that I also help her to calm my anxiety around the whole situation and to have some kind of order in such chaos. My own mental health has been bad over Christmas and New Year and now Ive got sometime off but really struggle having so much time and space with no distractions. I also have to find another councellor as i need to move on from my old one. Sometimes it just ain't easy. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance