Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Rosie
Senior Contributor

Diagnosis - again!

Hello everybody,

I am back. I am back, and stuck. I have gone back into my profession and have been travelling well, performing well and ticking all the boxes for my mental health. I have made friends, moved out of my parents', supporting myself on a good income, joined a netball team, I eat well and I see a psychiatrist and GP regularly. I had some symptoms early in the year, and jumped on them quick-smart with my mental health team.

So things are fine and dandy, right?

They asked me to apply for a permanent job. YAY! I am happy, everything is fine! Five years on the meds and looking after the mental health and all is well. I am OVER it. I am a normal human etc. etc.

Then I declared a mental health issue in my application for permanency. And they want the 'nature of the illness' which my GP says is the actual diagnosis of schizophrenia.  I went to the psychiatrist, and he diagnosed me again (5 years later) with schizophrenia. So my GP has written a letter to the employer stating I am fit to work full time, but with the actual S word in it.

This has me worried.

I haven't disclosed my illness in this workplace. I am deadset fearful of the stigma attached to the schizophrenia and my professional responsibilities/identity. I am deeply torn to not even go for the permanent job or just stay temporary so I don't have to disclose. 

I am talking it over with loved ones. I am looking at different perspectives. I guess I am coming to terms with the fact that it's with me for life, that I can't just shrug it off and pretend everything is ok, all the time. I manage it and I manage it well, and the medical certificate saying I am fit for work is practical and straight to the point. But I am petrified of this whole ordeal!

I feel like doing a big facebook post and saying I am normal and not a 'psycho' so all my colleagues can see it. Obviously I won't. I feel upset that I have come so far, yet I am still riddled by a diagnosis that might cost me my livelihood.

I wonder if there are any legal services for these kind of matters? Or any advice from those with past experiences particular to a diagnosis of schizophrenia?

Thanks.

Rosie

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Diagnosis - again!

Hi @Rosie,

That sounds super super tough. I am not sure around the legalities of having to declare an illness to an employer. I wouldn't have thought there was a legal requirement to disclose. I imagine some wise person around here will know.

Stigma super sucks. It is so wrong and makes our lives more complicated than they need to be. I really hope you get a good outcome.

I feel for you @Rosie and can understand your worries about your future employment and possible stigma surrounding your mental health diagnosis. I was employed as a permanent full-time worker for a government organisation, however, once a diagnosis of schizophrenia was made known, they made life extremely difficult. I was sent to a psychiatrist of their choosing for assessment to see if I was fit for duty. 

At the beginning of a particular month, I had a regular employee performance appraisal and received glowing recommendations from colleagues and bosses. However once the psychiatrist they chose confirmed schizophrenia, I was asked to resign from the workplace by those same bosses. This caused a downhill spiral which I am still recovering from 10 years later. 

Tread carefully and make sure you speak to the union about your requirement to disclose. I didn't do this and have regretted it ever since. Having the union on board could save your livelihood.

Thank you @Queenie I might hold off for a while and get the union on board. I am currently a little teary at the injustice.

I am sorry for your situation. I am sorry for a stigma that is real and so unfair.

@Queenie  - thanks again.

Rosie

@Rosie I think speaking to your union is an excellent idea. 

I'm a lawyer but this isn't my area of expertise and discrimination is primarily state legislation and I don't know what state you're in. BUT having said that, generally, unless mental health or the absence of a specific diagnosis is legitimately connected to your capacity to perform the role you're employed in, they have no business asking for it.

Your union will know the specifics of your job/industry though. 

Good on you for questioning.

Hi @Rosie

Firstly - good on you! You have done SO much work towards improving your mental health! I'm really glad it's paid off.

I wanted to check in and see how things are going.

Any developments with the job?

I really hope that things are going smoothly.

Thanks @NikNik.

It's a tricky one. Even thought I have doctors certificates saying I am fit to work, there is still the 'S' word in them.

I am going to stay temporary because I don't want to risk everything I have worked towards. I suppose it stops me stepping forward in some ways, but I am so very afraid. I don't know what might happen if I disclose.

Rosie.

I'm so sorry to hear this - but totally understand.

I hope in the not-too-distant future, people don't have to be concerned about disclosure Smiley Sad

Hi @NikNik.

I sent away my doctors certificates for a permanent job.

These say schizophrenia.

I am nervous. But I did it.

Will let you know how it goes.

Rosie.

Well done to you @Rosie! 🙂 

I sincerely hope nothing comes from your disclosure of your mental illness. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance