Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Jcoo5
New Contributor

Elderly relative refuses to accept power of attorney

Hi

My elderly aunt lost her partner recently and is grieving. She suffers dementia and other mental health disorder. She refuses to accept that the will needs executing and no idea how the manage the estate once hers. We don't have a power of attorney and she met with us and solicitir calmly to do discuss this and agreed! But within hours has become completely paranoid and abusive. This has been a week now.

Do you know who can  help here? 

Thanks 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Elderly relative refuses to accept power of attorney

Hi @Jcoo5

You can apply to the guardianship board for power of attorney if a person does not have capacity. Financial is different to health and process varies between states. 

Hi @Jcoo5,

I am so sorry to hear of the loss in your family - that is a struggle for all and everyone. This is quite a specific situation so you may not find a specific answer in terms of services here. The forum is more about supporting one another and offering that through everyone's own experiences. It might be helpful to try connecting with Carers Australia helpline to get some support and possible referals for this situation?

Have you got supports for yourself in place while you work through this with your family?

Also @Jcoo5 - I saw that you accidently posted the same discussion twice so I have removed one and left this one here with mine and @Former-Member's response

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance