Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Appleblossom
Community Elder

Gratitude

I feel a sense of appreciation for the efforts of mental health workers I have been involved with over almost 40 years.They have been private practitioners, public providers, vocational trainers, colleagues, DHS, medicos and non medicos. They have been for firstly for members of my family of origin and then with my family of creation which started with DHS and is not a typical creation story.

Mostly I think people try.  I travelled overseas for a year when I was 20 and only had a couple of bad experiences, but mostly found people all over the world hospitable, so that gave me a broad cultural reference and when I returned and studied, I decided to work with the concept of "paranoia" early in my life.  Maybe that helped me avoid a diagnosis of schizophrenia.

I have mentioned dissatisfaction about hospital issues at the time of my brothers death so i am acutely aware of the level of fall out when there are failures in the system.  Yet I have to acknowledge for myself personally that I would have suicided if it had not been for other people's presence and ideas.  Whether it is the authors of books that were meaningful for me, or the stability of a structure that I could rely on like 10 sessions per year on medicare, or individuals relating to me or my family personally.

I have had tough talking MH naive people telling me that MH workers dont really care cos they are just doing it for money, but in my position, unless there had been a bit of caring I would not have survived.

So Thank You

Any comments?

6 REPLIES 6
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Gratitude

Hello again @Appleblossom,

And thank you for your rich contribution.

Gratitude, and having the reflective scope to invite it into our processes, or journey enriches the space.

I would like to suggest that whilst the availability of support, resource, and information is a gift- The insight, reflective practice, and dedication it takes to 'utilise' or incorporate their bennefit into the journey- belongs to the person on the journey. And for this you must take credit Smiley Happy 

The creators, and implimentors of the resources you mentioned below would have little validation or credibility without the individuals that use or embrace them- If they were to read your posts, I have no doubt that they would share a space of gratitude with you, as your equal.

Hi @Appleblossom,

I agree. I think a lot of gratitide is due for the help I have received over 25 years. I do think that, in most instances, mental health professionals are doing their best within their own limitations to assist.

However, if I'm really honest about my feelings, well they tend to be more murky and ambivalent. Just now I'm struggling with a lot of unreasonable anxiety about seeing a new psychiatrist on Saturday. The basis of some of my ambivalence towards the mental health system is the same as my ambivalence about gastro treatment for my other major health problem. That is, there is no cure. It's the curse of the chronic illness that treatments often only help with symptoms and often bring their own problems.

However, this doesn't deny the great help I have been given and your post is a good reminder, especially as I'm struggling with fears, to remember the benefits I have experienced.

@Former-Member

@Mazarita

I also feel ambivalent about seeking another MH worker and have decided to do without for as long as I can by using only peer support.

Thank you.  I believe we are all equal and connected but that life's bounty is not dished out fairly.

I have always been well mannered, but I used to have a lot of difficulty when others would put the "need for gratitude" trip on me.  It is a long journey and I only began to feel it after I had a few years of being able to laugh at big and little things in my life.I have a strong sense of irony.

If gratitude is an expectation one puts on another, it actually creates a dialectic that pushes or negates the other's ability to feel gratitude. It cannot be demanded.

I could also only express gratitude if I included the costs in life and death in my story. I am not my siblings but their struggles were very similar to mine and a huge part of my life.

I also have gratitude to my kids as they do give a reason to survive and find value in the world.

Still I have had a few laughs today with my son so I have to keep putting my best foot forward.

This is not the typical link I post... its a bit more right than I usually feel comfortable with. Trying not to be left footed but some people might get something from it.

Take with grain of salt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XDpa2HLXV0

It seems a lot of people start a gratitude post as some time, and I had totally forgotten about this post, but at the time, it was deeply pressing and very  meaningful for me to post.

Today I am feeling grateful for our old Prime Minister and watching an interview. Thought about posting it on the Saturday Soiree thread, but then thought it a bit political and heavy for light entertaining.

Grateful for Aunty JU JU for the Royal COmmission and NDIS and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMWfr6b15fg 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC6eZSoKbpE 

The Science of Gratitude & How to Build a Gratitude Practice | Huberman Lab Podcast #47

This is good. for any interested.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance