Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Hurls
New Contributor

Grief

Hi All,

Good to be part of this forum. I lost my son in a accident 14 years ago and with the help a various support groups have been able to return to a somewhat type of normal like.

I still think of my son every day and the pain has become part of my life.

Hoping others are surviving their grief within there life.

Regard

Hurls

33 REPLIES 33
Harry
Senior Contributor

Re: Grief

Hi Hurts.

Thank you for sharing your story. I am glad to hear that you have support networks in place. I can't begin to imagine what it must be like to lose a Son.

Thank you

Harry

Hi Hurls,

Very sorry to hear about you losing your son.

My oldest son died from cancer 5 1/2 years ago now. He was 23 and full of life and totally strong and healthy and suddenly found a lump. He died 6 months later.

Grief goes on doesn't it? It keeps changing us and we keep learning how to live with it. But I miss my son every single days-some days are harder than others.

It's great to be with others who 'get it'-support groups and things, because it helps you not to feel so alone don't you think?

Take care Smiley Happy

Frog22
Casual Contributor

I hope this forum can help others just by them being able to get the thoughts out of their head and out to somewhere else.  I too lost my son and its a continuous struggle each day.  Difficulties with my other children and how they are coping with everyday life, the loss of their innocense, having to grow up too quickly and realise that death is a reality.  I miss my son and it feels like forever since I held him.

Hi Hurls

I am so sorry for your loss, pain and grief.  I almost lost my son to an illness seven years ago but the doctors were able to save his life.  I will be eternally grateful to them.  Losing a child is something no parent should have to go through.

I know I can't take away your pain, but you are very brave to share your feelings in this forum.  I wish you the very best and hope you can find additional support here.

Amber Heart 

swift
Casual Contributor

I lost a brother along time ago Hurls, my best childhood friend, an uncle, and then my father all in a space of a few years. The biggest thing of the time was nursing my mother through the period of coming to terms with her / our loss. It took two years before she emerged once more. But she is here now, with the living, enjoying life as her son would like her to. I too had some knock-on issues as I don't think I dealt with my own grief at the time. I'm not the only one to conclude that life is a mystery in all of its respects, including how we get here, and when and how we depart. I am consoled by the simple fact of life and the relationships that I am fortunate to have with people along the way. My heart with you.

That feeling of 'forever since I saw him' is terrible isn't it? I spend time trying to hear my son's voice in my head.

I am really sorry to hear of your loss, but I am glad that you have been able to find support in a way that works for you.

Dean
Casual Contributor

Wow..I can't imagine a parent losing a child...it's glad to Hear there were people there for you when you needed someone...

Bless you
Mailly
Casual Contributor

Grief can be a biggie, agreed.   Especially after 'everyone goes' home and expects the bereaved to just get back to normal as soon as possible.

There will never be a 'normal' as before for those of us who have suffered an out of order death (ie. that of a child).

We are learning to live in another way.

Love to discuss how our grief is 'triggered' by life events all the time, and how distressing this can be.   At the moment, the MH17 downing has brought up all sorts of emotions for me... esp. how these poor families are, to date, unable to honour and bury their dead.

Sure many breaved parents/families feel the same.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance