Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Joyjoy68
Casual Contributor

Hi I am new to this forum,my husband has Bipolar and I have no one to talk too about it.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Hi I am new to this forum,my husband has Bipolar and I have no one to talk too about it.

Welcome @Joyjoy68

I'm sorry you have no one you feel you can talk to about this, it must be so daunting?

I'm also glad you've joined the forums, because as you will see you are not alone. 

@Ant1@9350@tfishface also have partners with bi polar, feel free to look at their previous conversation by entering 'bi polar husband' above in the subject search bar, or shout out to them by using their forum name and the @ symbol as I've done above.

Is this a new situation you find yourself in Joyjoy?

As you will also see, it is common for the person with a diagnosis of MI to start seeing professionals, but all too often carers and family members needs are at the bottom of the list.

What I've learnt is that carers/family often need to have their own support networks to address what they are dealing with. So, if you haven't already I strongly suggest making a time to see a counsellor or psychologist. Evidence has shown that carers own mental health often suffers as a result of their caring role.

Feel free to share a little more if you're feeling brave.

Re: Hi I am new to this forum,my husband has Bipolar and I have no one to talk too about it.

hello @Joyjoy68 

My wife has bipolar, I find this forum helpful reading other post allowing me to process some of my thoughts. Also if you look up Carers NSW (or the state you live) website they will have a list of carers groups in your area. 

I find the carers groups great, I go to two different groups and one does different activities to reward you as a carer and the other is a small group that allows you to air any issues you maybe have without feeling any guilt.

If you have any questions please ask and I hope I can help

Cheers 9350

Thankyou for your input,yes I am aware that therapy for me is important too and I am looking into it.I have been looking for support groups in my area but there doesn't seem to be many,especially ones that cater for people that work during the day as meetings are days only.Finding this site is comforting as I now feel I am not alone.

Hi @Joyjoy68 

Glad you have found us. My wife suffers from the effects of Bipolar II.

It only new for us as well (diagnosed within the last 12 months).

The one thing during this time I have learnt is that I need to look after myself first. It great that you have joined up on the forum.

How long ago did you find out your husband suffers from Bipolar?

Regards

Lucky2015

@Joyjoy68
http://www.arafemi.org.au/family-support/support-groups.html

this link provides support groups in Melbourne and rural Vic.
I did notice a few in the evening.

Arafemi in NSW also provides carers support.

About 6 years ago and thankfully he takes his meds properly,but as with Bipolar he has his ups and downs, which causes much concern as he gets in his moods and starts to have ago about my family and then me,saying I dont get him and he sometimes thinks about living on his own.We have been together for 29 years and have two adult children,who have a difficult time understanding their dad.

I had an uncle with bipolar.

It sounds as if you have put in long and hard yards.

All I can say is just post what and when you want.  There is no right way.  We will listen.

Hi I am new to this forum also and have a partner who has just been diagnosed Bipolar and just reading your problems is as if I have written those words. I have been finding it difficult to get any information about the keys to look for when he is about to have an episode, or even if it is just an attack of normal mood swings. He was diagnosed at the beginning of this year and is 68 yrs old. At the moment I find that when he is having an episode the best thing I can do is walk away and leave him alone for a while.

Welcome @Joyjoy68 and @Smokey

A diagnosis late in life can be difficult but can also help shed light on things that have been difficult or confusing for a long time.

To echo the thoughts of others, looking after yourself is so important. It sounds like you are both in a situation where you’re seeing new and sometimes hurtful behaviour from someone that you’ve loved and supported for a long time. That must be hard and taking time out for yourself in that situation can be really restorative. I hope you can both find the time to do the things you enjoy while learning to manage this new challenge in your lives.

Joining a carer support group through ARAFMI or your state’s branch of Carers Australia can be a great way to link in with others and I think you’ll also find this Forum to be a great place to share stories and support one another. There is always a lot to learn with a new diagnosis and other people’s experiences can be really helpful.

@Smokey, you mentioned that you are having trouble finding information. You might like to take a look at this website which was developed as part of a University of Melbourne PhD project: http://www.bipolarcaregivers.org/. There are also some SANE factsheets about bipolar disorder and caring for a family member. You can find them here.

Welcome once again @Joyjoy68 and @Smokey. I'm glad you've been able to identify with one another's stories and I look forward to reading more about your experiences.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance