Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

MSM10
New Contributor

I've just lost my partner to suicide

I've just lost my partner of ten years to suicide. Looking to connect with anyone who has been through the same thing. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: I've just lost my partner to suicide

Hi @MSM10, Im sorry to read this. 

I haven't experienced this, but my aunt did a few years ago. I hope you have a support network to help you out, and maybe a therapist to talk things through with. It's a hard time but you need to look after yourself. 

Hi and welcome, @MSM10 ...I'm very sorry to hear what's happened 😞

I'm wondering what professional support you have for yourself? Like a trusted GP, counsellor, or psychologist? 

I have recently discovered the existence of Griefline: 1300-845-745. 

(Although I haven't suffered what you have)

A handy forum tip is if you type @ and then click on a name in the drop-down box, that person will get a notification and won't miss your reply. 

I hope you are coping...sending good wishes...

Hello and hugs @MSM10 

How are you going today my friend 

My husband  attempted suicide,  I can not believe it myself but I went up to the garage the look on my face stopped him

@Joonbug , @NatureLover , @Rhye 

@Shaz51 wrote:

My husband  attempted suicide,  I can not believe it myself but I went up to the garage the look on my face stopped him

Oh no, @Shaz51 , your husband? 😞

Hi @MSM10 

I just wanted to reach out and offer you some support 💜

I’m so deeply sorry to hear that you recently lost your partner to suicide and I can’t even begin to imagine how you may be feeling at this time 💜

Although I haven’t lost a partner to suicide, I can really appreciate how valuable it can be to connect with people who share similar experiences to our own 💜

So very sadly, there are numerous members of our community who have lost loved ones 💜 Although this may not be as a result of suicide, I just ever so gently wondered if there may be some things about your experiences that you share in common and as such, you may still be able to find the sense of connection that you’re looking for 💜

With this in mind, I wondered if one of our special events known as Topic Tuesday may be helpful for you 💜

Basically, Topic Tuesday is a live online discussion that’s facilitated by a guest speaker who has expertise in the topic that’s being discussed.

Mid last year, our Topic Tuesday focused on grief and loss and as such, the conversations were guided by a guest speaker from an organisation called Grief Line.

During this time, our Community Manager and our guest speaker created a safe and respectful space whereby they gently invited us to share some of our experiences in relation to grief and loss.

Although this particular event was held last year, I just ever so gently wondered if you may like to read through the conversations and the information provided by our guest speaker.

I’ve included the link to this event below, just in case this is something that you would like to explore further:

https://saneforums.org/t5/Special-Events/Topic-Tuesday-Grief-and-Loss-Tues-3rd-August-7-00-8-30PM-AE...

Following this particular Topic Tuesday, one of our wonderful Community Guides Zoe7, created a thread in relation to grief and loss, where members of our community could continue to support each other.

Although these conversations occurred last year, you’re still more than welcome to read through them and reach out to anyone who you felt a connection with 💜

I’ve just included the link to this particular thread below, in case you would like to read through some of these conversations:

https://saneforums.org/t5/Our-stories/Grief-and-Loss/td-p/1079667

I wasn’t too sure if you had any additional support and so I just wanted to share a few resources with you in the hope that these may be helpful 💜

The first resource is called the Suicide Call Back Service.

Basically, the Suicide Call Back Service offers free professional telephone and online counselling to support people who are at risk of suicide, concerned about someone who is at risk or bereaved by suicide.

They are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and you can contact them on:

1300 659 467.

I’ve included the link to this particular service below, just in case you would like to explore this further:

https://www.suicidecallbackservice.org.au/lost-someone-to-suicide/

The second resource that I thought may be helpful for you, is an organisation called Standby Support After Suicide.

Standby Support After Suicide are a national service and essentially they ‘stand by families, friends and associates impacted by suicide, providing respect, understanding and support for their health and well-being.’

Support is provided free of charge and the service is available regardless of when someone’s loss occurred.

I wasn’t too sure what state you live in, but if you click ‘find support’ you can select your state and find some details about the support co-ordinators in your area 💜

I’ve just provided the link to this particular service below, in case you would like to explore this further:

https://standbysupport.com.au/what-we-do/

The last resource that I wanted to share with you is an organisation called Survivors of Suicide Bereavement Support Association (SOSBSA).

SOSBSA is a peer support group for people who are grieving the loss of a loved one through suicide. As such, they provide face to face support groups and an online support group through Facebook 💜

In addition to providing peer support, they also provide a variety of written resources which includes fact sheets, articles, newsletters and links to external websites.

As I was browsing through their website, I noticed that people have shared photographs of loved ones who have lost their lives to suicide 💜 In my experience, this can sometimes be quite confronting and triggering for people - especially when they have also lost a loved one to suicide 💜

I would absolutely hate for you to experience any additional distress and so I just ever so gently wanted to share this with you, so that you can decide if exploring their website is something that feels safe and comfortable for you 💜

I’ve just provided the link to their website below, in case you would like to explore this further:

https://sosbsa.org.au/

Also, just while I remember, one of the things that really helped me when I was new to the forums and still finding my way around, was that if you would like to chat with another forum member, or reply to one of their posts, place @ in front of their username just like I did at the start of my post to you i.e. @MSM10  that way, they will receive a message that you have contacted them 😊

Please remember that you’re always welcome to reach out here whenever you need to 💜

Take kind and gentle care of yourself,

ShiningStar 💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance