Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Losing it.

Vent away @DeeElysia. I agree with @Faith-and-Hope that this is the purpose of the forum.

I remember exactly how that felt. Young child, not wanting to break up my family but knowing things were not right. I didn't leave as I have already mentioned and looking back i still wouldn't leave at that point.Have you had the opportunity to talk to a professional about what is going on? How to get strategies and techniques to navigate through what is going on?

You clearly love your husband and he is so lucky to have you...he might not know it but I hope he does.

And as for the future and meeting someone....trust me that isn't something you need to even think about. If your path does lead you to being single again you will be fine. You sound like a strong person to me...even if you don't feel like you are. You are supporting a man who has an MI while raising a child and have the strength and maturity to seek help on a forum from people in similar situation. I don't think i would have had that strength and maturity at 26.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Losing it.

Hey @DeeElysia

Living grief - it accompanies mentall illness, the grief of what was and what will never be.  Suddenly everything is different and it will not be the same again.

I have found for us the only way things got better was for me to learn how to cope better, to not try and fix my husband but provide a loving supportive relationship which will enables him to become the best that he can.  I do have boundaries - relationship rules that protect my heart - these do include ensuring he takes his meds and only ever changing them in consultation with his doctor.   I cannot romaticise things, it it not easy, it is ongoing hard work, it is heartbreaking at times. 

The best help I have found in relation to psychosis is from schizophrenia websites - my husband has had so many diagnoses - at present the working diagnosis is bipolar ii but he had psychotic depression - I have posted a few thing in the "what's new" tab including articles about grief for carers  - but these might be of immediate help to you,

http://www.everydayhealth.com/hs/schizophrenia-caregiver-guide/schizophrenia-and-relationships/

Lack of insight:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnbOizw_zS0

Darcy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance