Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

TCJ
New Contributor

Mother with server mental illness

Hi guys 

I’m on here to get some advice on what my family can do to get my mother help, 3 years ago she had a Pyschic episode, spent a few weeks in the hospital, sent out on meds etc 

Since then she’s gotten very good at hiding her paranoia, she doesn’t take her meds properly, drinks every night and smokes weed, she has episodes where she goes into pyscosis, she’s irrational and dangerous, hides knifes around the house and in her pocket. Anyway We don’t know how to help her? She won’t go in the car and if she does she has to drive, she won’t go to the doctors because she believes everyone is against her. But how do we get her help? How do we get her to be forced to get help ? Does she have to be having a psychotic episode for us to call the ambulance or can we call it even when she’s calm ? I’m just at a loss on what to do ? 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Mother with server mental illness

@TCJ  Hi TCJ and welcome to the forums :). If your mother is carrying around weapons she is definately in trouble and needs to go to hospital (I should know because I used to do the same thing when I was psychotic). I have schizoaffective disorder.  Will she willingly go to her gp? that is a good place to start. Has she got a psychiatrist? if not I would be ringing the ambos and getting her to hospital if she has a weapon you will have to say so and then (I warn you) the police will come as well. 

It is not an easy position to put yourself in doing this for your mother but she sounds like she needs to be hospitalised to have her back on track with her meds and off illicit drugs.

I hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how you are going. Love greenpea xx

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance