Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Beaker_Batson
Contributor

My Story

Greetings!

My name is Elvis aka Beaker B Smiley Very Happy I'm a new poster here, I would like to say that I'm honestly happy to be here, reading stories about similar experiences makes me happy knowing that well I'm not alone, In this day of age It's hard to find this kind of help and support, especially for those who have never experienced it (I think we all have gotten that "Just get over it" or "why do you feel like that?" comment)

Without further ado, here's my story

I'm 28 years old, fast forward after HS I koined the Army, served for 4 years, I did 1 tour in Iraq, after all that I had to go through and see what I saw, I was diagnosed with PTSD (mild, so they say) after coming back (was gone for about 14 months) I fell into a deep depression, I've been dealing with Depression since I was in H.S, but this time I fell hard, it was adownward spiral with me, I didn't reach for help- due to the fact that I was young and arrogant, the only thing I reached was for the bottle, I was finacially stable so obtaining the alcohol was not an issue, I started to drink on a daily basis and destroyed my body and burned a hole in my wallet in the process, I completely gave up the Healthy Body I got overseas, I completly looked different within months, I mean I got the beer belly, I gained weight (not in a good way) and my hygiene took a blow as well, I was drinking all day and that was my only concern. I really dugged myself a hole that at the moment seemed impossible to get out of.

After years with dealing with my Alcoholism I have finally got control of it, I only drink now on special occasions and I have renowned a love for my body, I'm a fitness nut, I love going to the gym, running, hiking, boxing. The Depression is still there and always going to be there, like I mentioned above, I'm glad to be here, to be part of this community. I'm glad to be around people who understand what I'm going through, at times it's unbearable and it feels like it's going to last forever, but now that I have discovered the community I will no longer fear what i'm dealing with, that being said you'll always have a friend.

-B

27 REPLIES 27

Re: My Story

Hi @Beaker_Batson,

Welcome to the forums, i am @Jacques, i have BPD, and i suppose other things too, i have never been formally diagnosed, but it is safe to say i am badly screwed up.  It must be so difficult to deal with what you saw, my mother has a friend who was in vietnam, he talks about some of the help one can get now from being in a military background, have you thhought about talking to vetrans affairs? legacy? Maybe joining or getting help from one of these groups that deal specifically with military personel you might be able to get help with the derpression.

What works for me, well i listen to calming music, i know how hard it is with a male image to listen to this type of music, but it does work to calm the mind.

Destraction is key, do you have any hobbies? i used to build model navy ships, Tall ships specifically, i can't do it any more because my hands shake so much. i do a lot of gardening and i am planing to rebuild my motobike.

I hope you get some help and encouragement from this sight, their is many good people on here, we all share the same day to day struggles, it is sometimes good to get support from those who understand.

Good luck @Beaker_Batson, Take care, be kind to yourself.

Jacques

Hey @Jacques!

Thanks for the reply, much appreciate it.

Yeah I love going to the VA (Veteran Affair's) I recently started to attend their groups (Anxiety, Depression, Anger Management, OIF)

The only concern is the Age Gap Smiley Surprised most of the guys in there are in their 50s (mostly Vietnam Guys) then you have me a young guy in his late 20's Smiley LOLHowever, the OIF group only let's OIF and OED vets like myself.

The only hobbies I enjoy are the Fitness related ones I mentioned, as well I'm a Gamer (I Heart Steam)

Let me know how it goes with your motorbike (Vroom Vroooom) Smiley Very Happy

Yeah music is a lifesaver, depends on what I'm doing... Right now I'm going through an 80s Mood at the Gym Smiley LOL

-B

Oh yes I know about the age gap, is their any other VA groups that are from iraq/Afghanistan conflicts?

It is a shame their is no online OIF or OED groups you can join on Facebook or Twitter.

OMG a fellow gamer, what do you play? I am into GTAV, COD and assassin's creed.

Oh yes all my games are steam ones except GTAV.

Hope we could talk some more about games.

Games are a life saver literally for me, they fill in so many long hours.

I hope you find some peace one day, OMG I only listen to 90's alternative.

What you listening to at the moment?

Sorry for all the questions. Does exercise help with the anxiety and depression? I used to be fit, but the past year I have let myself go, I have gained 50kg.

Take care

Jacques

No the OIF/OED/OND are once a week on Friday's Smiley Happy

Content/trigger warning
In case you're wandering what those acronyms stand for, Operation Iraqi Freedom (Iraq) Operation Enduring Freedom (Afghan) Operation New Dawn (Last Wave of Afghan)

Yeah I'm a big time gamer, I perosnally think FF7 is the best game ever Heart

I'm all over when it comes to gaming, I'm currently on the indie and rogue like scene on Steam, I love Battlefield (At times) Assasin's Creed, but those games are too strong for my rig, I play those games on the PS3, but It's mostly Indie games on Steam Smiley Tongue

I agree about games being a life saver, I was hooked on WoW oversees for a while lol, I would run to my PC after missions to play.

It's okay, I don't mind answering questions, I'm actually enjoying this. Well I'm from Club 87 (Est. 1987)

So I'm a 90s Kid, I miss the 90s and the Music, my ipod is full of everything, from Avenged Sevenfold, AFI,Tiger Army, Huey Lewis & The News, The Cars, Megadeth, T.I, B-52s.... I listen to a little bit of everything...

Exercise- helps out a lot, It makes me feel better, because I look good I feel good, however there has been times when I get too blue that I won't even excerise, there's times when I get so depressed I just slum around the house, sleep all day and get on steam, but most of the times when I get down I just go to the gym and work out and feel way better, but It's not fail proof. There has been times when I go and I just don't feel it, but most of the times hitting the Bag (Boxing) helps me out the most...

Get back on it, you have a supporter right here Smiley Very Happy

Cheers!

Hi @Beaker_Batson Welcome ... watch out I AM AN OLD LADY

@Jacques You never told ME about your motor bike ... Woman Frustrated

what have you got? Is that something else we have in common Woman Happy

@Appleblossom

you make it sound like that's a bad thing! Smiley LOL

when I hear old, I hear Grizzled, Experienced, Seasoned Smiley Happy

OMG you would love watching pro-gamers on USTREAM, WoW, FF7, i can't believe people get paid to play computer games, wow if they did that when i was at high school i would have made a lot of money.

What a shame your rig is too slow for the top end games, i just finished building my PC from the ground up, all top end components for around $300.

Yeah i have seen a lot of those indi games, i have to say i usually don't look through STEAM very much, i just logon and play Smiley Very Happy

Oh wow, you have brought back some memories with that list, i am into at the moment, Maralyn Manson, Nirvana, Rammstein, NiN, Tool.

Yes i used to like being fit, i had a traumatic incident at christmas and have since let myself go, i used to walk, ride, weights and situps, etc.  i have not done any of these since January.  I am trying to save up to buy a treadmill and Gym, i can't leave the house so my excercise choices are limited.

I am going to try again, thank you.

Take care, be kind to yourself

Jacques

Oh @Appleblossom, your not old, you are young challenged Smiley LOL

I thought i did, sorry, i have a Yamaha DT175, 1989 model, Mum bought it for me in 1995, since i got my car license in 1999 i have been to frightened to ride it because i did not have a motobike license, so i am thinking of doing it up and getting my license.  i have all the parts for a full engine rebuild, i just need to find the colour of the bike to touchup all the scratches and she will be like new.

Sorry My friend, sometimes i think i have said something. oh well,

Jacques

@Jacques

Hey bro, I'm going to bed, tomorrow I gotta wake up early for the gym Smiley Happy I'll add a Rep for you Smiley Wink

I'll respond tomorrow morning Smiley Happy

Good Night Man Very Happy

Cheers!

-B

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance