Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

J_J1
New Contributor

New here

Hi all,

I'm new to this sort of thing so forgive me.

I'm a 31 year old in a long term relationship with a good job I feel like I should be happy but I'm not. For years now I feel I've had issues with depression and anxiety and just over a year ago I seen a Psychologist for CBT as he believed I didn't need meds at the time. Now I feel more down than ever the feelings of hopelessness and worthlessness are overwhelming to the point where I feel I'd rather be dead. I joined this to try and see if I could find some people who are in the same boat as me to get different views and maybe work through how I'm feeling.

sorry if this was too long 

thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: New here

Hi @J_J1 

Welcome to the forum! Well done for reaching out to a professional and now to others in this forum, they are huge steps!

Psychologists cannot prescribe medication, only a GP or psychiatrist can. You might want to talk to your GP or get a referral to a psychiatrist if you don't feel the support with your psychologist is helping. 

I think most of us on the forum can relate to the problems, especially in the beginning, to start meds, find a psychologist, psychiatrist, GP that is a good match and all the changes that come with it. It also applies to types of therapy. CBT is only one approach, for example that CBT doesn't work for me.

What would you like to ask to help you on your journey? Everyone here is really nice & supportive. Take care 

@J_J1  Welcome from me also.

I think @Former-Member  has said everything I would have said so well. We are here for you. Take care.

Hey there @J_J1, welcome to the forums! 

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with depression and anxiety. It sounds like you have reached out for support with this before, but feel a bit uncertain about where to now? It's great you're connecting with some peer support, as it can be really lonely going through what you describe. 

I hope you find the forums really supportive and helpful. Have a look around and jump in where you feel comfortable, members are pretty welcoming! I'm going to send you an email too to check in about your safety today 🌻

Thank you for your message. I seen a GP that flat out refused to refer me to a Psychiatrist as he does not believe in chemical imbalances in the brain and thinks anti depressants are most certainly not the answer. I've tried CBT with a Psychologist in the past and feel like I'm just back at square one. I've decided I'll start keeping a journal again and try harder to stay on top of this but I do feel like I'm going downhill fast. 

Thank you again and I'm glad I found this site!

Hi there @J_J1 

Welcome to the SANE forums! It's great to have you here and thanks for telling the community a bit about yourself.  

I am sorry to hear that you are going down hill and that of your GP's refusal to refer you to a Psychiatrist. That does not seem helpful.  It sounds like you might want to get a second GP to make such a referral. Sometimes anti-depressants can really help some people and a Psychiatrist can also offer you other help.

I'm sure the forum members will be able to offer you support, information and connection. I'm the moderator on duty right now.   Feel free to ask the SANE forum team or the members if you need help with how to use the forum. You might like to check out the Guidelines as they can be pretty useful in understanding how it all works  https://saneforums.org/t5/help/faqpage#community-guidelines

Take care.

Whitehawk

@J_J1  Can you see another GP ? I do think the choice should be yours.

A journal is an excellent idea, if you do eventually see a psych, I would suggest taking it with you.

We are here to listen and support you as much as we can. Take care of yourself.

Chameleon
Casual Contributor

Go to your GP, they will quickly assess you and prescribe something for you. If its right for you, it can take the edge off and allow you to seek to think straight and choose healthy thoughts. Dont quit because one professional doesnt see you.

Hello

I also struggle with depression and anxiety. I'm at home with no job but I'm studying. I feel incredibly frightened at times and worry sick about when this will all end. I feel lonely and somewhat concerned for my Mother who is 80 years old but she will move out with my sister some time. I get help from a psychologist and I am medicated. A GP or Psychiatrist will help you for medication. This is a very tough uncertain time for everyone and we are all on this together.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance