Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Newly diagnosed schizophrenia in daughter aged 24

Thankyou, she is no better and I feel so desperately for her, it is 3am again and I cannot sleep again for thinking and worrying about her. Will she ever get better? I have to keep hoping, what else is there, so at nine of the drugs work and she is like a zombie, blessings you anyone out there tonight who cannot sleep like me🌸

Oh @Audrey64 

sorry I missed this, I think of you and your beautiful girl every day hoping that you have some improvement. My son was admitted into hospital today so my heart is breaking for both of them. Sending you a big cyber hug and hoping that tomorrow brings about some improvement. If you message back tag me and then I will see it straight away. Take care of yourself x

Sending ❤️ @Audrey64 

Hello @Audrey64 

Just letting you know you're not alone. Thinking of you and your beautiful girl ❤️

Hello @Audrey64 

It has been a while since you have checked in and I have been thinking about you and your beautiful girl.

I am hoping since time has passed that her health has improved? If you see this and want to reply please tag me with a @ in front of my name so that I get a notification from you. If you don't feel like responding that is OK too, I just wanted to let you know I think of you and really hope that all is ok. Love and hugs xoxo

@greenpea @Shaz51 

Hey @greenpea 

how are you lovely? 

@AnastasiaAm okayish today. Feeling a bit flat but that is okay too. Cannot have up days every day :). Hoping you are well my friend. Lots of love peaxxx

Yes you are right, but still doesn't make for smooth sailing. Big hygs my friend and remember to be kind to you xxx @greenpea 

You are right to respond with love and support. It is a terrible illness and emotional support from family and loved ones is vital. Try to keep the communication channels open. Remember that it is an illness and only a part of who they are. People are much more than their diagnosis.

No you definitely did not cause your daughter's schizophrenia. It is an illness like any other. It is one of the most serious mental illnesses, and it it is unfortunate that public mental health facilities are so under-resourced. Private mental health facilities are basically concerned about profit and therefore do not treat serious psychotic illness. They only treat people who can afford private health insurance. Ninety per percent of people with schizophrenia are on government benefits. So we need a well funded public system if we are going to provide effective treatment for the seriously mentally ill. As far as getting effective treatment in the public hospital system as it is, from my experience you need to vigorously advocate for your person. Insist on seeing the treating psychiatrist, tell them all you know about your person. Some of the nurses are really good. Speak to them. You have to be assertive, don't hang back. There is a momentum in the system to discharge people as soon as possible. You need to let the staff know what is actually going on in your loved one's life.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance