Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

_riverweir
New Contributor

?OCD

So I'm new here, and thought I'd just see what others thought. I began excessively washing my hands/body a couple years ago. I 'have' to wash them til I feel I am clean. It's something that I've put up with, and kinda knew it was an issue but ignored it. The last few weeks have been pretty bad though. I reckon I'm probably spending 2+ hours washing my hands each day, having a shower then having to have another pretty much straight away. It takes me ages to get out of the house, and I underestimate the time it takes for me to feel clean enough to leave. Anyone else have similar experiences? Mind you, these are only two of the things I do, there's a few more that I know are ridiculous but I can't help it. I am booked in to see a psychologist next week but thought I'd see what others thought 😊

2 REPLIES 2
MaryMahem
Senior Contributor

Re: ?OCD

I have OCD with systems such as organisation or steps to do things - I can't do this until I've done that type of thing. I've decided it is procrastination because I really don't want to do something. It's a delay tactic. Are you trying to avoid something maybe?
Fancy_Pants
Senior Contributor

Re: ?OCD

Hi @_riverweir

I am glad that you found us, welcome to the sane forums 

We've got some useful things on the SANE website, like this, which is the story of OCD by one of the speakers called Tim and this fact sheet 

and there are some good online resources too for example this thread lists some

but its great to hear that you have an upcoming psychologist appointment so will be getting professional support

there are a number of members on here that also experience ocd like @Ayesha and @Eden1919 and @Tim_H who have written in other threads like these here, here and here.

when you say "see what others thought" are you wondering if OCD is the correct diagnosis?  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance