Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

JesusIsLove11
Casual Contributor

PTSD

First time posting and not sure what to write. But I promised my best friend that I’d seek some sort of professional help even though I don’t think I need it. This is the best I could come up with since I would never talk to a stranger about things like this. When I was young I was involved in a few sexual assault related instances. After that time I often would have nightmares and flashbacks whilst awake that would start with shaking and fast heart rate like panic attacks. For the first few years after this was a regular occurance as I was living in fear. Later on these episodes became less frequent but still happen a lot of time after. Being so long I’ve learned how to manage it better and control it. But I became curious about what was actually happening to me feeling crazy like I’m over reacting or something. When I googled I came across PTSD which I naturally assumed was just a disease for war. But the symptoms seem to match up. When I spoke to my best friend about it he seemed to think that I was doing the whole google symptoms and assume I’m dying thing. I just wanted answers it’s crazy to feel completely normal but insane at the same time. So I wonder do I have a mental illness? Is it PTSD? Or Anxiety? or Depression?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: PTSD

Hello @JesusIsLove11

I discounted my early sexual abuse experiences for a long time and just got on with things, but you are right, they have found that the symptoms are very similar to war caused PTSD.

This forum is a peer forum.  It may be enough, but you can easily get some sessions with psychologist by asking a gp.  You do not have to go straight into talking about the abuse.

In the mean time, there are many threads and conversations about similar things.

Welcome to the forum

Smiley Happy

Apple

utopia
Senior Contributor

Re: PTSD

@JesusIsLove11 Well done on reaching out to us here.  A great first step. 

PTSD is not just occurring in the Armed Forces.  It can and does happen to people who suffer or witness a trauma.  And you fit that category. 

I have PTSD plus depression and anxiety  due to a workplace incident 4 years ago. 

I see a psychologist fortnightly and it's a big help in getting things off my chest,  expressing my emotions,  and I'm learning techniques to reduce the symptoms and severity of panic attacks. 

Your local gp can refer you to a psychologist.  Your gp can give you a mental health care plan and therefore you'll be eligible for some Medicare funded psychologist sessions. 

You have suffered traumas that would affect anyone.  Mental illness is simply illness within the brain.  No different from a diabetic needing insulin.  You may need therapy to help you. 

I do hope you reach out further and seek a referral to a psychologist. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance