Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

darwinemma
Contributor

Post Apocalypse

So having just joined the forum and put up a little about my situation, I thought I would share my current journey and see if I can keep my head straight.

Immediate background - hubby and I separated (again) 4 July this year. My daughter initially moved with me to a shelter then we were given a half way house for 6 months. A month after we moved, during an access visit, she decided she wasn't coming home to me (not sure if this was her decision or a "gentle nudge" by her father). She has virtually not spoken to me since (13 August) although her father and I were "trying to work things out" and I had been at their house - including overnight several times between then and 9 October. I have several times received abusive emails or texts telling me to leave her alone (and not in those poilte words either) which seem to actually have come from someone with far greater language skills than those of a 13 year old child with Aspergers.

This week - started last Friday when I stayed for what is now the last time at their place. My ex and I had some difficulties with "performance failure" and he refused to talk to me. After I asked a couple of times for him to talk to me he suddenly arked up, standing up and yelling at me that it was all my fault etc etc. I refused to take that/accept that so said that I would leave and come home - which I did. I finally broke the silence on Saturday night by sending an email asking him to talk. No response for almost 13 hours - then some 40 emails (mostly nasty by him) and a phone call saw things glossed over (not sorted but meh)

Monday morning at his place - all good and sweet so long as he got what he wanted. Things were a little off when I left (he tidied the place removing any signs of my having been there before heading out to collect our daughter). I came home and sorted some things out here which lead to me responding inappropriately to a situation and being threatened with eviction (I am in a women's shelter). I spoke to the ex who flatly told me it is all my fault, that I will never change (I am almost 47 and only just starting a proper therapy for my issues - and only 5 weeks in to that as it is) and that there was no way he was going to help me (not even to offer me the couch for a couple of nights if I had been evicted). This got nastier and nastier via text message until he demanded that I come up and collect the last of my stuff (what was given back wasn't worth the trip - he kept stuff that I had lent him over the past month or so) and when I was there he screamed more abuse at me through the window which is not suitable to put into print.

So now we are day 4 PA (post apocalypse) and I went in to see my solicitor to see about getting parenting orders put in because I fear that he will do a runner with her and I don't have the funds to follow them around the country. Not pushing for guaranteed contact with my daughter - only the ability to continue to communicate with her, even if she chooses not to respond.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Post Apocalypse

@darwinemma. So much going on. But the only thing you need to focus on is keeping contact with your daughter & your access to her open.
Concentrate on her only. Not your ex. He's not worth the time or energy.
Also, you are only 5 weeks into your therapy. Put all your energy into that and getting better. I hope things look up for you soon
Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @darwinemma
Sounds like you have so much going on and its all very complex. I'm glad you are getting some legal advice and support to maintain communications with your daughter. That will be so important for her later on.
Also glad to hear that you have started therapy, which is also a huge step but can be taxing on its own without lots of other stuff going on.
At the shelter is there some workers who can help you with making a plan for how to talk or not talk to your ex? it might be that you need a plan for how to communicate with him only about what really needs to be communicated? the way it has been sounds exhausting and really upsetting.
hope thelast few days have been better!

Hello @darwinemma

It is nice to meet you, a very warm welcome to the forums 🙂

It sounds like you have gone through so much this year with the seperation and your duaghter living with your ex and your experiences living in a womens shelter. It must be difficult having him interefer with your communication with her, that is not fair on her either.

I was glad to see you have begun getting some support through a counsellor, that will be great for you to get that extra support and work through all of that stress and to find ways of staying in contact and getting through the custody issues.

There are quite a few parents on these forums, as well as people dealing with custody issues and the impact on their mental health, so it is great you are reaching out for peer support here.

There are some friendly check in threads you might like to also join in... There is the Goodmorning! thread by @Former-Member as well as the Nightshift by @Mazarita

You also might like to Introduce Yourself Here (if you have not yet already) 

Look forward to getting to know you a bit better,

Lunar 🙂

Hi @darwinemma Smiley Happy

Just wanted to check-in and see how you are going with everything? Has there been any progress in establishing a parenting order, and/or contacting your daughter?

Also, has seeing a counsellor been helpful for you in terms of managing everything you are going through at the moment?

Hoping things are getting better for you.

Kindest,

Amour_Et_Psyché

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance