Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Kate84
Casual Contributor

Rare manic episodes

Hi there,

I am 35 and this year experienced my third severe manic/psychotic episode. It had been 9 years since my last episode, so it was a real shock - brought on by stress and a lack of sleep. The experience has been really disruptive - I took extended time off work, and ended up quitting my job in the end. Things are starting to settle down now, and I'm feeling pretty good.

My official diagnosis is bipolar type 1 - but I've never experienced serious depression... so it feels strange to be called 'bipolar'. I'm really interested to know if others have had a similar experience - having rare manic episodes but feeling otherwise well. I don't know anyone else in a similar boat. How long do you go between episodes? What things do you do to stay well?

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Rare manic episodes

@Kate84  Hey Kate84 and welcome to the forum :). I was firstly diagnosed with bipolar 1 and now schizoaffective disorder. I tend to have more of the manic side of my mi instead of the depressive side although in saying that I did spend about a year just sleeping because I was so exhausted which would be classified as a prolonged depressive episode.

I am on medication so my mi is controlled. I try to eat well and exercise plus trying to fill my day with positive things. There are some great threads on the site about bipolar which you might like to look at.  I hope I have been able to help a bit. Hope to see you around the forum. peax

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance