Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

anna
Casual Contributor

Re: Living with Bipolar Disorder

I have been living with bipolar disorder for 25 years.   For the first fifteen years I suffered badly under the management of pyschiatrists, GPs.  I only was in hospital twice (last time was fifteen years).   After my last admission (due to mismanagement on the psychiatrists part) I decided to go back to the basics meaning just get treated by a GP, take the medications.    After getting rid of psychiatrists and 'well meaning advice" that amounted to nothing I did just that.   Now that I am 50 I have not had an episode, see the GP just for meds, went to university to do a degree and dont talk to anyone about this stupid illness.   My life is totally focused on more important issues like enjoying life.   Everytime I see the GP I refuse to have further tests (even other tests such as diabetes, pap smears etc.).    I believe in the quality of life and feel fine and healthy and happy.

3 REPLIES 3

Hi @anna 

Welcome to the Forums! I haven't seen you post before - so it's great to 'meet' you.

I think there's an unwritten motto here in the forums 'Whatever works for you, works for you'. Sometimes it takes months, sometimes years, to find what treatment works for you.

An interesting discussion about how different treatments work for different people is here - @kenny66 often talks about how he's found the right combination of treatment - which you will read in that thread.

Another good topic is 'What does recovery look like for you' which I think is an important question we all have to ask ourselves.

If you are experiencing a good quality of life, then good on you for focusing and achieving that!

A question that popped into mind is, how do you manage to get a balance between physical and mental health?

Nic

I just made this comment but did not expect a reply from the Community Manager.   I wont be posting anymore and will probably take myself off the Sane Forum.   After reading the remainder of the posts, a lot of the sufferers are struggling with this illness.    I just want to stress that compassion and support especially from families and spouses does not go astray.   I am now turning 50 in two weeks and feel a lot better than when I was 30.   I am having a party for my birthday and will live it up.   You suggested that I read some articles and post.   I wont be reading them because I dont focus on the illness.   I also noticed that on Mental Health Week ABC did a special promotion on mental health.   I was disgusted with the promotion especially when they took the cameras into Rozelle Hospital using mental health patients as subjects.  I wonder if the patients were paid to be used as subjects.  If they have to promote mental health, why not use patients who have done well and have achieved something in this lives.   In Australia we pride on our health system but we still have got a long way to go when it comes to mental health.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2015.   To all sufferers on the Forum, I wish you all the best for the future and hope that your lives turn out the way you want it to.

Take care everyone

Nic

You asked one more question:   How do you get a balance between physical and mental health.  I dont get sick physically (like coughs and colds) and have never been in a public hospital for serious physical illness.   When I get older and time goes on, I will work it out like I have worked it out before.

I dont need doctors or professionals to work it for me.  They will just stuff it up as usual.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance