Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Fifitrixabelle
New Contributor

Spinning out of control

First time poster to say I need help is an understatement I'm a 35 year old mum to a 2year old and a 6 month old . Things are so tough since my son was born not in relation to caring for my children just in relation to me I hate myself and most days find myself feeling so low that I would much rather just not be me  . I feel so lonely and really a little scared for the darkness that has swallowed me whole I live rurally and have little to no friends and or family support I just don't know what to do anymore I want to be well again to function to just be me again but I just don't know how to do that 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Spinning out of control

Hi there @Fifitrixabelle. Welcome to the forums. I am glad that you have found your way here and had the courage to reach out and start a thread. I'm sorry to read of your struggles and I hope that exchanging ideas and experiences with forum members helps to lessen your feelings of isolation. You will find that many other forum members are parents like yourself who are managing their mental health alongside all the regular challenges of parenting. You might also like to introduce yourself on this thread here

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi @Fifitrixabelle,

I'm 25 and a mother to a six year old, and I struggle balancing my mental health and being a mother.

I have anxiety, depression, panic disorder, Dissociative Identity Disorder and complex PTSD. On top of that I'm a severe asthmatic, and on a 'potentially gonna need a lung transplant' list. 

It can get so difficult to find the motivation to get up and be a mother somedays and I know sometimes I fail at it.  But I do know that the most important thing is to my little boy I am the world so if keeping him home from school to cuddle up and watch movies in bed all day is what is going to make sure I'm here for him tomorrow then that's what I'm gonna do.

As for distance from family I can't give much advice because personally I wish there was more distance between me and my family.

I can tell that the biggest thing that will help you is to remember to take time for you everyday even if it is just 5mins. Take a walk, read, do a puzzle, colour in, do some gardening, take up a craft hobby or cry in the shower (it is a really good stress release). 

The number one thing that keeps me going is that I have someone who counts on my being there. You have 2 someones who count on you to be there even if you are not at your best everyday.

Hi @Fifitrixabelle,

Welcome to the forums. Struggling with depression combined with feelings of social isolation are a hard cocktail indeed. I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this. Reaching out for professional support, particularly when there's not much social support available to you, could be really helpful right now.

Apologies in advance if I am suggesting things that you have already tried, but a good place to start might be to visit a GP and ask for a mental healthcare plan and a referral to a psychologist.

The following helplines might also be a useful interim step for you, while you link into longer term sustainable treatment:

Panda: 1300 726 306

Sane Helpline: 1800 10 7263

Lifeline: 13 11 14

The Samaritans: 135 247

Being in a remote area, the following online services might also be worth a check out: This Way Up and mental health online

Wishing you all the very best,

Chamomile.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance