Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Enfj
Casual Contributor

Stay or go, absolutely shattered

I've been with the only love of my life and the only person I've ever put my trust in for 2 years, we are engaged and living together, she also has a daughter. 

I'm studying a degree in pshycothearpy amongst other related fields.

She has BPD and schizophrenia with narcissist tendencies and is (was) very high functioning before we got together, the best in anything she tried in school and sport.

I just found out our whole relationship has been a lie from the start.

She had painted me the image of the perfect "good girl" Respectful and conservative.

Her past was a total lie even the way her daughter came to be, and turned out to be full of sex and drugs.

She was the best, supportive, always had my back type partner, she said I'm her fp and the only person ever to give her unconditional love and acceptance, she would talk me up all day and night.

Turns out she has been sexting (hardcore) and sending out 100s of nude photos nearly the whole time we have been together and also telling lies and mocking me to these guys.

She says now it's all come to light she cant even remember most of this stuff is absolutely discusseded and doesn't know who that other girl is, and has had a full on memory return from when she was child and it's very very bad.

So the easy part for me is that I understand what's going on and why, which is also the hard part, I would love to leave because of what has happened but also know alot of it wasnt in her control, I understand I'm going from hoping, helping, guilt etc but when emotions are involved it confuses things. If she was "normal" I would have ran, but because shes not and I understand it..........

She already booked into get help, she only accepted she has a problem after looking back on what shes done to me. Can I, should I try move past it, or run is what's in my head, has anyone been in a similar situation and was the girl she pretended to be the girl I'm going to end up after help, I love this girl like no person has ever loved anything ever and yet shes not the girl I love at the same time

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Stay or go, absolutely shattered

@Enfj  Hi Enfj and welcome to the forum.  Firstly I am not going to tell you whether to stay or go that is ultimately your choice.

I have schizoaffective disorder and was married for 23 years before my husband divorced me due to his misunderstanding about my mental illness and my symptoms. He has now said on several occassions that he regrets what he did and wishes he could go back in time now that he understands how sick I was during that time (pre diagnosis) but of course that is impossible the damage is done. 

We remain good friends and I enjoy being single and would not want to have a partner let alone date. I have enough on my plate dealing with my illness.

In any relationship there will be ups and downs it is up to you to decide whether there are more ups than downs and then to stick with it in the knowledge that she will need your unjudgemental support when she strays. greenpea

Thanks for the reply, your right and I'm not putting my decision on anyone else, more thinking out loud and trying to get a different perspective and if other people have experienced the same type of thing and what the outcome was, so I can make a informed an rational decision because I've been thinking anything but that the last few days.

I am new to this forum. I don’t have any advice but I think I know how you feel. My husband was recently diagnosed schizophrenic and after his first psychotic episode admitted to multiple adulterous behaviour. I hate him but love him. If not for his illness I think I would have left.  It is so hard when you don’t know if it is the person or illness to blame. Any way....all I can say is stay strong. 

Thank you for the response, I was in a bit of irrational thinking at the time I posted this, so I waited until I was rational again before making a decision, while it's been hard for the both of us, we decided to stay together, slow things right down, and without judgement start from the start, it was hard to hear everything (mainly because of my own limiting beliefs I had to work through) at first but it has been the honesty that's helping us both, I didn't suggest she do anything, and she has since made a lot of decisions that I know hurt her pride and accepted what she has, I partly wanted to see what she would do without me saying anything to see if she was doing it for me or herself, so I worked on myself, she booked herself into a psychologist and counseling, she put school and work on hold because that's where she was getting her worth from and booked herself into DBT and went on disability, which for her was a massive thing, she practices everyday, has not had anything to cope like drugs and alcohol, she has been talking to family members that had a very bad influence on her that she hasn't spoken to in years to get closure, and let herself be vulnerable, while doing all this memories are coming back, and although hard to hear about her past and while with me, some are made up or different than what happened because of the emotions at the time so I need to take them as they are, by setting boundaries and educating my self along with getting help myself, we are making great progress, if she wasn't doing all these things on her own, I wouldn't have stayed, she is taking responsibility for her actions and not excusing them away because she has these things, but instead learning new coping mechanisms and understanding why she did the things she did so not to do them again, the change and regulation in mood is amazing to watch, plus just being there instead of taking on the care taker role has also helped me, understanding the caretaker role and my issues around it was one of the biggest things I had to deal with and am better for it

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance