Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

chibam
Senior Contributor

Strange people having access to our medical details?

The other day my mum told me about a recent experience she had at her medical center. She'd just come out from a routine doctor's appointment when the reception staff told her that some woman wanted a word with her. My mum went off somewhere private with this woman and this woman started asking my mum questions about the medications she was on. Apparently this woman had a list of the meds she's on already on hand.

What the meeting was all about, my mum has no idea as apparently the woman had an accent as thick as molasses and my mum couldn't really understand her. But mum seems to think the woman was asking about whether she had ever tried differant brands for her medication.

Subsequent to this, my mum has been back to the reception staff at the clinic to try and get answers about what this meeting was all about. To hear her tell it, it sounds like the clinic staff (some of whom my mum has known well for years) were being really evasive about the woman's true nature. They told my mum that the meeting was "nothing to be worried about" because the woman was a qualified pharmacist (I should clarify that there's no pharmacy located inside the building, so there's no apparent reason why a pharmacist would be in there), and that it had been consented to by her GP. But apart from that, they didn't seem to be very forthcoming about exactly why the woman had wanted to talk to my mum.

From what my mum has been able to tell me, my main theory is that this woman was from a pharmaceutical company conducting market research. But to be perfectly honest neither I nor my mum really know what it was all about.

What really worries me about this story is the fact that this stranger already had my mum's medical records before my mum ever even met this woman. I was always under the impression that our medical records are our property and that no one is aloud to access them without our consent unless they have a warrant. Even if our doctor approves, he or she, as I understand it, doesn't have the legal right to grant strangers access to our medical files.

Has anyone else had a similar experience to this?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Strange people having access to our medical details?

Hi @chibam,

This does indeed sound very odd. I'm not a professional in law, and I'm not 100% certain about this, but my very basic understanding of medical records is that they are strictly confidential. They can only be accessed by a third party if they required for legal proceedings, and/or if a person requires treatment and he/she is unable to provide consent and/or information.

Is there management at your mum's medical centre that you can speak to to find more information?

To find our your legal rights, it might be helpful to contact a service in your local area that can provide you with some information. If you can tell me hat state are you in, I many be able to point you in the direction of one. Another, avenue could also be contacting the health ombudmen in your state too to lodge a complaint. 

CherryBomb

Hi @CherryBomb,

As I said, my mum went back to the staff at the center a little while later (I think it was a couple of days after the fact, but I'm not sure) and tried to get more information, but the staff were being quite evasive as I understand it. My mum (much like myself) hates getting agressive with people, so if the staff are determined to try and dodge her questions they'll almost certainly be able to get away with it.

I don't think my mum has any interest in causing any more of a fuss over this, and I have no direct reason to suspect that my records have been shared in a similar manner. But there mere fact that I know that something like this has gone on makes me question my existing assumptions about doctor-patient privelage, which makes me uncomfortable.

I was more posting this thread to just see if anyone else here had encountered a similar situation and/or might have been able to shed a little light on what it's all about.

Have you thought about making  an appointment with your dr. Have a list of your concerns and questions you want to ask. I think it is something he should know about.

@Chris

TBH, not really. As I say I only know that this matter has effected my mum and have no direct reason to believe it effects me. I don't think my mum wants to make any more of a fuss about this then she already has, so I'm certainly not going to cause her any distress/embarassment by confronting people about matters that are really her business and not my own.

I don't like to be a bother, especially as my doctor tends to be a very busy man and this is a beaurocratic matter, not a medical one. Booking an appointment just to interrogate him about these paperwork things kind of feels like I'd be wasting his time. Especially, as I've said, in light of the fact that I have no specific reason to believe my own records have been disclosed.

Perhaps if I need to see him about something medical I'll ask him about it while I'm there, but until then, or until I have a more substantial reason to beleive my privacy's been violated, I don't think it's warranted to bother him.

Edit: Actually, I just re-read your post. The reception staff at the clinic told my mum that this meeting with the woman happened with the doctor's consent. So he already knows about it, if the reception staff are to be believed.

It wasn't my intention for you to  go and " integrate the dr. It was more out of concern over what and the way it had happened.

you sound angry with me. I mearley made a  suggestion. Not a demand to see the dr and get an explanation of him.

sorry if I offended you.

My fault. Re read  my post. I said for you, when I meant your mum to have the appointment.

thats enough said from me.

appologies from me again.

@Chris

It's all good. 🙂 I wasn't angry with you, so sorry if there was something about the tone of my post that suggested otherwise. I need to learn to use friendly smileys a lot more in my internet activities ;);)

I appreciate that you were just making a helpful suggestion, and I appreciate that you took the time to be helpful. so thank you for that. 🙂

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance