Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Maelstrom1
Senior Contributor

The Way Out Is In

Hello Formites,

Welcome to my home thread. In my short time here on the forums I have been amazed by the compassion, kindness, decency, love and support members on these forums show. I have also realised just how profoundly blessed I have been in my life, and how deeply ignorant I am in the ways of MH care, comfort and support.

So, in an effort not to be a bull in a china-shop, I am starting my own thread where I will mostly hang. I think I will use it for accountability as I return to self-care. I think I will post about the things I like and that I think help. And I think I am also going to post a lot about Buddhism. Not the religion, but the philosophy of mind. How Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche expresses it at the start of The Joy Of Living:

"WHEN YOU’RE TRAINED as a Buddhist, you don’t think of Buddhism as a religion. You think of it as a type of science, a method of exploring your own experience through techniques that enable you to examine your actions and reactions in a nonjudgmental way, with the view toward recognizing, “Oh, this is how my mind works. This is what I need to do to experience happiness. This is what I should avoid to avoid unhappiness.”

If I post on this subject, it will be the concepts as I understand them and how they relate to my mental health. I think expressing them will help to clarify for me. But I am no expert, and I am not here to preach or convert. I respect all faiths, races, cultures and creeds.

I am also by nature very (very) structured in thought and deed. A lot of my posts are likely to be long. I don’t presume to think that anything I post will be helpful. Indeed for some it may be overwhelming or unhelpful. Others may vehemently disagree.

In all cases, if anything I am posting is making you feel worse, please do what is right for yourself, don't reply and click off this thread. But for anybody else - whether you have thoughts, questions, insights or experiences – or you just want to pop in and say hi - you are very welcome!

M

28 REPLIES 28

Re: The Way Out Is In.

Buddhist Posts

Hello @Maelstrom1 

I love your thoughtful opening post.

Welcome and I hope you make the forum work well for you.

Smiley Happy

I, too found the practical aspects of Buddhism very helpful.. I would not be here if I had not used various mediatation techniques.

Heart

Hello @Appleblossom, and @Emelia8 

Addition - Hi @Clawde , @BPDSurvivor , @greenpea , @wellwellwellnez , @frog , @ArtistZ 

Thank-you for your kind words and nice to (virtually) meet you Smiley Happy 

Yes, I hope the forums will be the 'secret sauce' for me in staying on the path this time. 

Look forward to talking more soon Heart

@Maelstrom1 😄

Really good to have you here. 💗

Re: The Way Out Is In

Day One Of Self Care Starts Tomorrow

When I am practicing self care, every morning I wake up and go for a walk before I do anything else. On that walk I practice what I call Mental Rehearsal - which is really a philosophy of how I want to live each day to best support my mental health.

My life goal is very simple. I want to string together as many of these days-lived-well as I can. I won’t go into all the detail now (it has several layers – my mind does love complexity) but at the top level it goes like this:

• To ever-more fully unveil my true Buddha nature,
  • I condition a stable, spacious and harmonious mind,
  • Through not breaking the chain of renunciation, positive action and resilience.

I thought I would share for accountability.

• Positive action for tonight – I will go to bed on time.
  • Positive action for tomorrow morning - I will wake up and go for my walk.

Anybody else rehearse actions, ways of feeling, affirmations?

Hi @Maelstrom1 !

I see you have some great thoughts and ideas posted here. A very interesting read indeed!

I'm so glad you can join us on the forums. Nice to meet you too 🙂

BPDSurvivor

Hey @Former-Member
I'm keen to follow along as I have seen you about here
Nice to meet you

Hey @Flying_Hams,

Good to meet you too. FYI, I am going by the handle Maelstromnow.

Did I mention I like to make things complicated? Smiley Wink

No worries @Maelstrom1
I have had many changes to my name lol
@Hamsolo01 was my original and then went to @Hamsolo
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance