Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: The never ending fight

Hi again @Tam28. It was great to see you made it to Topic Tuesday last night.

I hope my volunteer work will turn into paid work one day and think it could, but I also think I have a way to go before paid work is a thing I'm ready for. I'd like to finish my study so I can do what I want to do and am finding it is taking a long time to be in a space to be able to do that.

That's such a shame with the volunteering you've tried to get into 🙁 That would feel really disheartening to me.

How are you doing this morning after talking and sharing last night?

hi @tams28
actually yes, I got my very first job through volunteering. hated the job but it was one none the less.

I hold onto hopes that youll be able to gain a job that you would like as well.

@CheerBear 

Im going fine, but in saying that i feel ok at the moment, I was just saying to my cousin, its the ups and downs that are so hard. like when i feel good, i know in myself i could make something of myself, then a week later im anxious depressed etc and i can hardly function. i was just thinking about it, every job ive had has been with someone who actually cared about me, didnt care if i was a bit slow or had a bad day, theyd get in there and help me. That is what id be looking for, but there hard to come by. It was good to learn about ostara last night, that might come in use.

Hey again @Tam28. I so get how hope and our outlook can change with those ups and downs. Only last week I was questioning whether I'd be able to participate in a positive conversation about work, let alone think it was possible to do more of one day. This week I feel pretty OK and good even. Who knows what next week will look like, but I am rolling with the OK while it lasts. The ups and downs can be so destabilising, but they also remind me that everything changes which helps me ride out the down times and appreciate the up ones. What kinds of supports do you have for your ups and downs?

Having a job where you're cared for and supported is so helpful. It's such a shame that work environments like that have not been easy to come by for you. It gave me some hope to hear that changes might happen as stigma is reduced and workplaces are becoming more mental health aware/supportive 🤞

Great to hear youre thinking Ostara might be some use. Are you planning on contacting them? I hope they'll be helpful for you if you do.

Hi again @Tam28

I wasn't sure of your age from your first post, but now i understand you are an adult.

I think fixing things is a dying art and people who are excellent at this can make themselves quite busy with opening their own business. I know that my fixit mower man is always saying he can't get anyone good to help him in his business... he can't keep up with the work he gets.

What exposure does your home get? Could you put up a sign out front something like...'I can fix anything' or I'm your fixit man!'

I am assuming that you have a few tools, so the set up cost would be minimal.

After you have done a good few jobs,you could seek out someone to setup your niche little business on the internet. Or you may not even have to bother, the sign might bring you just enough work. My mower man is not on the internet.

What are your thoughts?

CKS

@silverspoon 

That is exactly what I want to do, have my own little fix it business, only problem is my confidence level sits around zero. The only way I would feel comfortable doing something like this is if someone actually gave me a chance to learn the skills so that I was confident, finding someone that actually wants to help seems to be the impossible part

@CheerBear 

Sorry I've been on a down for a bit that is why I disappeared. My wife supports me the best she can. I sometimes see a psychologist but it doesn't really help me because when I'm anxious I dont actually take any information in. I will investigate ostara a bit but it will come down to timing aswell, my wife is studying at the moment and has a job, so we couldn't just up and leave so I could earn minimum wage. Its alot harder when there are other people to consider

Hi @Tam28 

I was wondering how you are going?Have you given anymore thought to starting your own 'fixzit' business? Have you got an area at your house for a little workshop? Your confidence issues will improve greatly after each job you do.

Kind regards

Silverspoon

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance